Killifish eggs!

Chuckie

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eggersi are probably the fastest growing Notho Ive kept,fully coloured and breeding at 5-6 weeks.Orthonotus is also very fast but it just keeps growing and gets to 10 cm.Ive found Eggersi quite short lived 6-8 months,my tanks are fairly warm though.Well done!!!!!! out of the 7 Notho species I have its the trickiest,although Orthonotus has its own unique problems due to size and aggression

Thanks Doug!

The largest fish in the first 2 batches are showing a banded pattern already. I am informed by someone far more knowledgable than I am that these are males. Here's hoping I have a good number of females too.

Hoping to move them into an actual glass tank soon, so I can possibly get photos - and people can have a look at them at the SBG on Saturday.

The first lot were wet, and hatched, on June 24, which was less than 3 weeks ago!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you can get eggs posted to you, Cassi. Eggs in peat seem to travel really well, from the accounts I have heard. Is there a particular type of killi that appeals to you?

Hi Tegan, I haven't seen many killies in LFS at all although they do turn up occasionally. I think they are generally circulated within the hobby. Come to a SKG meeting!! :) It's only, what, a 3 hour drive for you? /jk

Edit: Serkan just posted at the KFA Forum:

Last time few times I've been in Sydney Aquaristic on Botany Road Beaconsfield had a few different species

http://killifishaustralia.forumcircle.com/...php?p=3813#3813

Hey guys!

@ Tegan, Lilli's on the money! There are very few killies in LFS usually. The ones you will see usually are Aplocheilus lineatus 'Gold', Aplocheilus panchax, and sometimes Fundulopanchax gardneri, but the gardneri in particular are usually very dodgy.

To go right into details, some hobbyists do sell killies to wholesalers or LFSes. So sometimes you might see some nothos on Bay's list. Or rather, you would've in the past :) Auburn also has some nothos and constanciae from time to time.

Killies can be posted as live fish or as eggs, so they are pretty available on that front, as long as you can find people keeping them. Of which there are plenty here, or on KFA.

On the subject of Aquaristic, I think they may have their own sources of fish, as they have in the past had some nice australe and gardneri, and also Pseudepiplatys annulatus too. Well worth a look.

I lifted peat again from my 4 eggersi tanks this morning. Eggs are visible in it.

A little while back I hatched my constanciae eggs. They are much slower growing than the eggersi.

In the last week or so I have also had success hatching eggs in peat from N. guentheri, and my ameiti eggs finally hatched too.

On the subject of Aquaristic, I think they may have their own sources of fish, as they have in the past had some nice australe and gardneri, and also Pseudepiplatys annulatus too. Well worth a look.

they could be getting some from Anthony, i know he breeds a few types and is good mates with Vic and Billy. i think they were also looking at bringing some in that are on the live import list as they have some connections overseas and a quarantine room.

they only ones i have seen at my LFS are gold panchax, and theres usually only a pair or two.

sorry to go to far off topic lilli :)

Edited by MJay

• 2 weeks later...

OMG I've only just seen the replies to this thread (hate being shaped when I go over my download limit, i miss so much!)

Lilli, I love the look of those constanciae and N. guentheri, they are seriously beautiful fish. I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't get rid of my 4ft tank after all and make it a Killi tank, can they co-habitate? I don't know much about them. Can I keep many different species together in the same tank or so they fight etc? I'm looking at what I should get to stock my almost empty 3.4ft tank and maybe Killi's would be the go. I only have a few cory's, BN and 2 bumblebee gobies left in there now.

PS what do the fry eat? Will they be ok on vinegar eels, MW and grindals? they're the only cultures/foods I have at the moment for fry. No BBS eggs but I can get some easily enough

Edited by Fighters4U

Hi Cassi

I have only kept them in species tanks. Maybe someone else knows how they'd go in a killi 'community' tank.

I feed the fry my usual progression of VE/MW, bbs then grindal worms. I think they'll be fine on what you have, but their growth rate will be a lot slower without bbs, IME.

You could keep a big colony of one species in a 4' tank. Stephen Mytton from the SKG keeps a big tank (3 - 4') of whitei and keeps guentheri in a 2', if I recall correctly.

N. whieti

Wow! I sooo need to get my hands on some killi eggs. Am now in love with them. They are so beautiful. I might as well just make my 3.4ft a killi tank. All the original fish are almost dead, with the exception of the cory's and BN. Haven't seen the bumblebee's in a few day, maybe they've kicked the bucket too. Need to get in there today and remove more hair algae from around the filter.

Here is a video I found of killifish eggs hatching. It is so cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijy4q-V8A30...player_embedded

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>"> name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

• 1 month later...

Sadly, my remaining male eggersi died overnight :D so I have a lonely hearts female.

Hopefully I have enough viable eggs to get the line going again.

Talk about live fast, die young! These fish were trying to spawn at 3 weeks of age, so it's no wonder he was knackered.