Killifish eggs!

Chuckie

Hey everyone! I got some beautiful N. eggersi at the April SKG meeting and today I lifted the peat I put in with them and it's drying on some kitchen towel right now. Apparently I need the edges to start lightening in colour, then it's dry enough to store. I think Steve said store for 8 weeks before re-wetting, but I will of course check.

For those who don't know, the plan is that after the requisite period of time has elapsed, the peat is re-wet and the eggs will hatch! Imagine - instant fish babies, just add water!

You can actually see the eggs in the peat! Here are some photos :notsure: Yes, they look like pictures of dirt! But it's actually peat, and the eggs are sort of orange.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Many congrats Lilli, you have eggersi eggs! Isn't it amazing that you can actually find the tiny glassy orbs in a pile of compost? Good photos, they're a great representation of eggs in peat for those who haven't seen it in action before :)

Now to settle down for the wait...

I have lost both the male and female now (not a great week in the fishroom, but hey, these ARE annuals, right.... ). So I am really hoping that I have much success in hatching the eggs now.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gloryforixseal

Hi i want to start keeping killifish but i am not sure where is the best place to buy my eggs from i have looked on ebay but most of the eggs on there seem to come from Thailand and im not sure about that could anyone recommend somewhere in the uk that is a good place to get them from.

cheers

wet another 2 heaped teaspoons of the peat last night and when I checked 5 hours later, had a lot of little swimmers :(

I removed the peat from the first lot after 24 hours. I now know you're meant to leave it for 48, so I will with this lot (will remove the fish to a container of identical water with no peat as they hatch).

BabiesBabiesBabiesBabiesBabiesBabies!

It never gets old, seeing all these fry emerging from a bag of dirt :(

There's pros and cons to removing the peat. Some fry may take a few days to hatch, even tho most will have hatched after 24hrs. But removing the peat makes it much much easier to keep the floor clean, which reduces stresses on the fish, and that can lead to velvet. One way to have both is to syphon or scoop the fry off as they hatch into another container of identical water.

I made up a batch of water (pH7, with some salinity) and split it between 2 containers which I kept next to each other. After I got fry I used one of your pipettes to transfer the fry to the second container (without peat). No more seem to have hatched since then, but I'll wait til tomorrow night before I re-dry the peat.

Very exciting. Doug told me that eggersi are one of the harder killies to manage. I've already managed to kill one female and another one is belly sliding and not eating. So well done on the fry. Can't wait to see how they develop. Eggersi are so gorgeous I can't stop staring at my two males.

Thanks Michael :)

I have put a 3rd batch of peat into water now. Wonder if they have hatched ... would go look, but Supernatural is starting :)

Anyway the 1st batch are eating grindal worms now (yes, already!!) and the 2nd batch are trying to.

So far so good!

Oh hang on , GNW is still going. Will go check.

Edit: nope, none yet :)

ok, quick update!

I wet the peat in 3 separate batches around 3 days apart. All wettings were successful and I have a manageable number of fry from each one.

The first and second batch are up to eating grindal worms. The 3rd batch is more numerous (there was a bit more peat in it) and they are still on bbs.

Only about 4 belly sliders in the whole lot, which my kribensis enjoyed.

Second and third lots are still in the 800ml takeaway containers, with daily top-ups and a clean up of the bottom as it seems necessary.

The first batch has been moved into a 4L tank and I am adding water gradually as the fry grow large enough to venture farther afield seeking out food.

There are a few small snails in each container to clean up any uneaten food.

All containers have had green water and moina added.