DIY Canister filter

Bender

Im about to build a small one for a nano tank,

Im not sure if they could handle a 2 footer, depends whats in it.

determine the amount of water you want turned over per hour then buy a pump accordingly.

how many gallons/lites is your tank?

Forgot to mention, It would be better to get a rectangular one, similar to this.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NG...L500_AA280_.jpg

Good luck,

Edited by Peter16

I really like this one:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumap...ilter-step.html

Possibly a lot more advanced than what you had originally planned, but easily the best DIY filter I think I have seen to date. It looks simple enough to put together and shouldn't cost the earth to achieve, either...

I should point something out with this filter, that might go unnoticed... If you look at the part where the builder is adding all his media to the filter, the first pic (in the grid of four) shows straight down into the filter body. Note he has cut a "sleeve" of pvc to sit on the bottom (with provision for the water inlet fitting). This would be to keep the first media basket of the floor and allow water flow. This dude has thought of everything!

Edited by Ghengis

The biggest problem im trying to over come is getting the power cord out of the container,

some people cut it so there is only a small hole then wire it back together, Im not a big fan of that approch,

any ideas?

Wow! Thanks for the link, that's a great DIY!

Peter, I found a snap lock Spaghetti jar, it comes in rectangle or round, just wondering what the reasoning is behind which shape to choose. I think the rectangle one would be easier to drill, but like the look of the round.

In my case all my power outlets are a pain to get too, so I like the idea of cutting the cord and using a switch to rejoin it. I would either use a small rubber gasket at the wire entry points (if I can find one, how I miss my dads shed!) or run some silicon around the join to ensure no water could run down the cord into the contacts. The silicon is probably the easiest and you can just run a craft knife around it if you ever need to open it.

Edited by Bender