Wondering if this female is a male...

Marianne

I've had this female (or male) for a little over a month, I've had to keep her and the other female seperate because she's quite aggressive and nippy (her name is Aggro:)). When I first bought her I suspected it might be a male, but after putting her in with a couple of males to see her reaction, I saw vertical stripes so I concluded it was a female. She was released with both males, but it didn't result in spawning, even after several days with each of them, and I haven't tried since.

The other day I bought another 4 females, and moved all 6 of them to a bigger tank, figuring the bigger group would keep the aggression level down. Aggro is by far the most aggressive in the tank. She hasn't done any damage, apart from minor nipping, but she's always the one chasing and flaring while the others coexist peacefully. And a little while ago I discovered a HUGE bubblenest in their tank. I didn't see who made it, but with Aggro's strange behaviour she's the main suspect.

I know females sometimes make bubblenests, but it's so huge and with her behaviour I'm just really wondering about her...

Another thing I noticed is that she's actually a very drab brown colour. I've never seen her in proper light before, and always thought she was dark blue, but the big tank with the females has good light and the brown colour became apparent.

So I'm wondering if it's actually a 'wild type' male? Whatcha think?

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7156.jpg

IMG_7165.jpg

I have an aggro just like yours but "its" name is Jaffa (brown body red fins hehe) Some days she acts like a boy others she act's like a girl. :woohoo: I believe she is a girl but she's just going to always live on her own and not bread - she actually doesn't show any interest in the boys at all and will actually get stressed if she see's them.

Edited by Peta(&Eric)

I'm leaning towards her being a girl as well, because of her behaviour around males, but just thought I'd check because I've been uncertain about this one for a while.. Like Jaffa, she has male days and female days :woohoo:

Sounds like my ex........Seriously though, (IME), in a tank of females it seems you will always have an "alpha girl" that displays male type aggression towards her betta tankmates. Also (IME) when you remove "alpha girl" another female will step in to take her place. I am pretty sure she is a girl, bubble nest and all. An obvious egg spot is a good indicator of femininity, as are ovaries, (if you can shine a bright light thru her while filming), then examine the film for the prescence of ovaries. Not easy,especially if the fish has a dark body colour.

Cheers!, Brad.

She does have an egg spot, but I've heard males sometimes have those too. I don't know what the ovaries look like, so doing the light thing wouldn't help me much..

She was definitely the alpha then, but she took a chunk out of one of the other girl's tail fin overnight, so I've seperated her now.

I believe the conclusion was that you can't know for sure until you see them wrapping/laying eggs.

true, the author got that much right :woohoo: but this fish lacks some male indicia - most notably long ventrals, and she appears not to have a beard. She's also dull in colour, including for a wild male.

IME the girls can be just as vicious as the boys. If they get it into their heads that they are going to fight, they are serious about it. They tend not to pull as many punches as the males do and are more into actual fighting than posturing.

I had one girl that was impossible to have with other fish. We bought her on a road trip in QLD, and she was bagged in a medium fish bag with another female. I wasn't paying attention when the girl was bagging, but it was 2 girls from the same tank so we thought it would be ok for the 20 minute drive back to the rent-a-house. 5 minutes down the road we had to find a supermarket and get a bottle of spring water and some gladware containers as she'd torn strips off the other girl, body bites and all! given she was being flopped about with the car movement, she had some incredible aim and grip! The two girls were dubbed Cow and Chicken. Chicken healed up fine and Cow had a lovely life of solitude. Grumpy old sod.

ROFL @ Callatya (I have a chicken too - she's the cutest thing)

I've got Jaffa in a divided tank with my other 'it' (who I have since confirmed IS a girl as Rocky dropped eggs when I changed the temp in the tank the other week)... and a boy that was mistaken for a girl (he's got the egg spot but is definitely a boy!) LOL