Sign in to follow this  
a_little_oc

New Red Crystal and Purple Dragon boys

Here are photos of two new boys from Nicebettas.

Photos used with permission from Vinita from Nicebettas.

She is such a lovely person to deal with.

Mainly bought as 'show ponies', as I loved their colours.

But I will probably get some girls from her to go with them.

RedCrystalBFOHM.jpg

PurpleDragon.jpg

They have arrived at Jodie's last night.

So I'm excited about getting them soon.

Did you want a critique of them Ann, or should I move this to the Showroom instead?

Very striking fish BTW.

OK, to start I am only going to critique conformation, not colour. I would have to spend too long identifying then reading into what colour (color, lol) the IBC would classify these as.

Red crystal

According to the IBC standards "The ideal show Betta presents nearly mirror-image symmetry above and below an imaginary mid-lateral line".

Caudal:

IBC: "In singletail bettas, the ideal shape is a semicircle that spreads to a perfect 180 degrees ... Caudal fins that exceed 180° spread are not favored over fish displaying 180° spread.".

It's hard to tell if his caudal had the defined straight edges you'd want in a HM because the bottom of the tail seems to be curled inwards. If his tail really looks like that all the time and it's not a postural moment in time, then I would have to fault his tail for not being "D" shaped and it's not symmetrical. The IBC says "Caudal edges not straight, slightly curved back away from head (minor fault)" (5 points).

Anal fin:

IBC: "Must be at least one half of the length of the body measured from the base of the center fin ray to the outer tip of the center fin ray". "Shape to be roughly rectangular. The ideal shape of the anal fin is an isosceles trapezoid with the shorter side at the base of the fin at the body. In other words, the outer edge of the fin should be broader than the base" .

This fish's anal fin is not rectangular/trapezoid, the front is short and slopes down towards longer rays at the back. It also extends a little below the caudal, but isn't a bad example of that, comparatively speaking. The IBC says " Long anal fin drops below bottom edge of caudal (minor fault) (5 points)"

Does he have frilly edges/extended rays or is there webbing between then that is hard to see in the photo? The IBC says : "Projected rays only on some fins (minor fault) (5 points)".

Dorsal:

IBC: "Must be at least one-half the length of the body, measured from the base of the center fin ray to the outer tip of the same ray".

"Ideally, the dorsal fin will overlap the caudal fin and appear blended with it, though not physically fused. The first rays (closer to the head) must be comparable in length to the other rays and should in no case be “stubby.”

The first ray of the dorsal looks very short (and blue!) to me, it may therefore be classed as "stubby" which is a pity :D .

The IBC says "A few short rays on front of dorsal, not matched on anal (slight fault) (3 points)"

Ideally it would also line up with the Caudal: "The silhouette of the three non-paired fins should be as close to a circle as possible with the outer margins of these fins tracing a continuous circular outline without gaps". However there is a clear difference between the edge of the drosal and the top of the caudal here. The IBC says "Dorsal somewhat small in relation to anal and caudal (minor fault) (5 points)".

Ventral fins:

IBC: "Length should be close to the length of the anal fin". It is close to the length of the front of the anal fin but not the back of it.

Body shape:

IBC: "It should taper cleanly toward the head and caudal fin with the tail junction".

Your fish seems to have a very steep drop towards the snout from the back, with a bump on the back behind the head, but it may be because it is bent towards the camera in the picture. The IBC says "Small bump, small groove, or other slight deformity (minor fault) (5 points)".

Out fo time to do the other one - will come back when I have time :P

I hope all that didn't sound too critical - the IBC does use a "least faults" approach so unfortunately it is faults we have to look for to critique the fish.

I think from a colour point of view these fish would have a tough time competing in an IBC show. Not because they're not attractive but because there simply aren't show classes to cover every colour variation.

Red Crystal - I guess I would place him in a butterfly class. In butterflies, the bands should ideally be equal widths and appear in all fins including the ventrals and pectorals. Hmm... on second thoughts he might be better off classed as a multicolour ie. 2 or more colours that don't fit into any other class.

Purple Dragon - The dragon scales are nice but the fins don't all exhibit the same colour pattern. So again I would probably stick in in multicolour rather than anything else.

AOC is generally a catch all. Fish would generally be judged on finnage. But an unusually coloured fish could do very well if the colour was even or in a discernible pattern.

Sign in to follow this