Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wet Dreams

My CT

Guest Wet Dreams

Hi all, got this guy the other day and was just after some feedback on him. is he worth breeding?whats the faults in him?anything like that would be appreciated, as im still learning the in and outs.

Cheers Sam.

9.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

Here is an extract from the IBC CT standard (which appears in a sticky at the top of this forum), and my comments based on them :D

Desirable traits for Crowntails:

1. 33% reduction in webbing material for each primary fin is minimum. 50% reduction in webbing material in all three primary fins is ideal.

Lilli: webbing reduction appears to be good.

2. Ray extensions to be uniform in balance, length and spacing (symmetrical).

Lilli: The ray extensions are not uniform. The rays are quite irregular. One in the caudal is very short (possibly from injury) and there is a big gap between others in the caudal.

3. Double and 4 ray extensions in dorsal and anal fins to match caudal extensions.

Lilli: He appears to only have single ray extensions in anal and dorsal fins, but has double extensions in the caudal.

Undesirable traits for Crowntails:

1. Less than 33% reduction in webbing material in 2 or all 3 primary fins is a DISQUALIFYING FAULT.

Lilli: N/A

2. Less than 33% reduction in webbing material in 1 primary fin is a SEVERE fault.

Lilli: N/A

3. Ray extensions of different lengths are MINOR faults unless the rays are in even, repeating pattern.

Lilli: there is one ray in particular that is very short but that's possibly environmental rather than genetic.

4. Random rays, for example, single protruding rays in a double ray or 4 ray Crowntail, should not be regarded more than a MINOR fault and ignored if there is only a single ray protruding ray.

Lilli: He does seem to have some single rays in the caudal.

5. Curled or bent ray extensions are each a MINOR fault.

Lilli: curled and bent rays are not present (some look curved but I think it's postural).

6. Non-symmetrical spaces between ray extensions are each a MINOR fault.

Lilli: as noted above, there are non-symmetrical spaces between the ray extensions particularly in the caudal fin.

Now, other than that, he appears to be a royal blue fish with red wash, and the red wash is a fault.

His caudal is also under 180*, with 180* being the ideal. His outer caudal rays bend inwards/together so his tail (ignoring the webbing reduction) is more a "O" than a "D".

I would like to say that he looks like a beautiful fish - the IBC standards are no indication of a fish's beauty *lol*

They are great photos for critique purposes BTW, thank you :)

If you are not concerned about perpetuating the red wash, I would not oppose this fish being bred.

Guest Wet Dreams

Thank you very much for your assessment Lilli, much appreciated. I will go away and study all you've said about him and hopefully learn to pick out faults easily myself. ill work it out eventually haha.

Cheers Sam.

Sign in to follow this