I need some advise please regarding CO2 systems

I was in a LFS today and l came across a basic Co2 kit made by " red sea" and its called "Turbo Co2 Bio System" for $99........ came with everything l need to set the tank up for Co2 production it comes with 1 months supply of the stuff l need to generate Co2 but on the box it says l need to keep buying that product to keep the system going...but l was wondering because its $24.99 a bottle for 1 mths supply. Do l need to keep buying that or can l use my own reicpe of sugar and yeast to keep Co2 being produced........we cant really afford to add anymore monthly bills to our finanical status at the moment. Because at another LFS l found a system made by "Dupla" for $110.....which will work with my own sugar and yeast recipe but the red sea system looks like a better product but it comes with a monthly bill for creating Co2. I'll add a link to the red sea system so u can have a look and tell me what you think. thanks

Red Sea Turbo Co2 Bio System

^What he said^

IMO, those "cheap" commercially available CO2 systems are a huge trap... Fairly pricey set-up costs and the ongoing outlay means you will outlay a similar cost to pressurised in no time. If you want to do it cheap, and learn a bit about how CO2 works in your tank, go DIY for sure. If you are happy to spend a few hundred more, there are plenty of well priced pressurised set-ups getting around. Check eBay...

I cannot afford pt spend anymore than $100 to $110 this money came from the stimulus package which l didnt get its from my husbands cheque .....I'masking for help on how to do this for that price ................l wanted advise about the product

You could use yeast and sugar in water, I have only just found out that you can do it.

A 2L pet bottle some tubing and at the least a very fine air stone.

You have to change the mixture once a week or so.

I would have to ask Jumper for the fine detals.

Cheap and could fill in a gap.

I agree with Peter and Ghengis. I think this would be a waste of $99. If the refill is worth $24.95, where is the rest of the $74 worth in this system? Surely the pump and the silicone tubing doesn't make up the rest of the cost. As far as I can tell, the reusable parts of the system can be easily and cheaply replicated. I really can't see how this system would be any better than a DIY yeast system. You're really just paying for packaging. You're not going to actually get a better result. I think you would be better off putting your $110 in a jar and keep adding to the jar until you can afford to get all the bits for a compressed CO2 system.

In the meantime, just buy a small powerhead that has a venturi attachment (around $10) which you can use as a diffuser. Attach your sugar/yeast bottle to the venturi and you've reproduced a $99 system.

We don't even bother with a pump. When the contents of the 2L coke bottle get nasty and gassy like you want, the pressure itself forces the bubbles out up the tube and through the airstone. My partner made one bottle up with some lemon juice that had gone nasty and sugar. The bottle lasted months before we had to change it.

Even if we bought the 'ingredients' for our DIY new, we would be hard pressed to break a $5 note...

I don't know much about that product but DIY is a good, affordable alternative and very easy. I use a 1.25L Pepsi Max bottle, 3/4 cup of sugar, a tsp of yeast, a pinch of bicarb, and warm water. I poked a hole through the bottle cap, siliconed in an airline connector to seal the hole, attached airline and whacked an airstone on the end. I change the mixture when it stops bubbling. Usually lasts about 2 weeks.