Sign in to follow this  
Duv

Are they just not ready?

I have had Osiris and Nefertiti in my spawn tank for nearly a week now and Osiris has built a huge bubble nest.

He flares at her then swims under his nest but she just sits in the corner on her own.

I aged the water for 2 days, put a decaf tea bag in there and have been feeding them blood worms and brine shrimp for about a week.

Are they just not ready? Any suggestions?

Here are a couple of pics of Osiris' nest. You can see him in the corner of a one.

DSCF1628.jpg

DSCF1630.jpg

She sounds totally disinterested, possibly distressed.

How long did you condition her for before adding her? How long did you keep her in the coke bottle/jar before releasing her, and why did you release her (ie, was she acting ready to spawn?). I would take her out for a week and let her recover her composure, then try again.

Also it's hard to tell from the photo but it doesn't look like she's got much in the way of cover. I see a small amount of java moss but not much. I think you need a lot of plants she can hide in and feel safe. At the moment it looks like she feels like a sitting duck, and a big scary finned monster comes and flares at her periodically and she has nowhere to hide from it. If she could hide, she'd probably get curious about the big scary finned monster and decide he was a sexy beast and come out to play :)

I should also say, that is a magnificent bubble nest! But normally people give the betta something to build the nest under, eg bubble wrap or a foam cup.

Back when I started breeding bettas (there was no AAQ then!) I used bettatalk.com as my 'bible'. That info is still good, I had a look the other day and was surprised at how current it still is. The pages are bright and take a while to load (and it's American so you have to allow for certain differences), but it's a very good step-by-step. I would suggest that you read through that and see if it helps answer any questions :D

Thanks Lilli

I have read heaps about breeding them, most of it conflicting.

I fed her the same as Osiris (blood worms, brine shrimp and pellets) for about a week. She went a beautiful dark blue/black colour with some great vertical strips and she was very fat. I floated her in a cut off bottle so they could see each other for about a day and she was floating head down.

There's not heaps of cover but there is a stone 'cave' and couple plants you can't see. Some things I've read say don't put any form of cover where others say heaps of cover so was just trying it.

Osiris did have a piece of bubble wrap but he built his nest on the other side of the tank so I took it out.

I think I'll leave him in there but take her out for a week or so like you said and then try again.

Thanks for the site will be going there to have a read :)

There are lots of ways to spawn bettas and different fish respond to different methods. What works for one may not work for another. This is why it appears conflicting. Pick one method and see how it goes. Then swap to another one. I think you might have to give this female a rest for a couple of weeks. Incidentally, I don't expect all pairs that I put together to spawn. On the contrary, I kinda expect most of them to fail.

I'm with you on this one Duv - my black dragon pair just are driving me nuts.. My boy's even starting to mope!! In the coke bottle she was all keen even flared back at him and got all nice and dark...

out she's lying up on the Indian almond leaf 'hiding' (he knows she's there) ...

only reason i haven't taken her out is because I know she goes pale when she's stressed, and she's still her dark black so im trying to be patient and leave them lol ...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for us both!! :)

(I want black dragon babies damit!)

the way i see it if he is not harming her leave her in. it took my first time spawners two days of her released to actually start wrapping. i did however at night turn the light off the day they dint spawn but still in the tank together just so they get a rest n the next morning wah lah i saw the embrace and everything. BTW i dint have any plants in there my dam hornwort started needling n there was crap everywhere so i took it out. i did have a small and i mean small plastic plant which i dont think made any cover at all. i did however have 1.5 IAL in there and for the half leaf i beant it so it was laying on the whole leaf on the bottom and it look like a cave so she could go there to hid which she did but the male always new she was there and would go in there every now n than to chase her out but he was a fairly non agressive betta but her tail fin did get ripped in half

a 2 day wait for a spawn is not unusual. A week long wait during which she has demonstrated no interest tells me you probably need to tweak something. Leave them together too long and you risk them becoming a complacent 'old married couple'.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I agree Lilli something must have been wrong and I don't want them becoming the 'old married couple'.

I'll give them a week apart then try them again. If that doesn't work then maybe she doesn't think he's pretty enough *lol*

Poor Osiris will get a hit to the ego lol

Sign in to follow this