New home for my Oscars

jo oakley

How bad are the leaks and where abouts are they?

Are there any glass panels that need replacing?

Is there and shelling on the glass? (little half-moons chipped out)

I'll find out the name of the stronger silicon for this tomorrow. I know there is one that is a bit better than the Selley's tubes for larger tanks, but I'm not sure where to get it or what it is called.

Callatya, the tank its self looks OK.

What has happen is some one bought the tank, started to strip it and gave up.

She has had some trouble with second hand tanks in the past.

she was told that held water, yet she started to strip it any way.

Its worked out in my favor I get a cheap tank and OK stand home delivered ;)

all I have to do is clean it all up.

My babies are growing fast, a larger tank will help for a time.

I have never stripped a tank and would like to know how to hold it together Tape?

do I need to take off all the sealent?

I know you need to clean things down with Metho.

I have been told that new sealant over old won't work???

HELP!!!

With a tank that size I would think tape wouldn't hold it. My guess is that you'd have to clamp it. But I've only ever put together small tanks. I think I've seen pics on the net where they clamp those big tanks after gluing. And yes if you're intending on removing some of the sealant you should remove all of it.

You could just do it one side at a time and if you are only removing the sealant you can see from the inside along the seams, there is some in the join of the tank too (or there should be if the tank was constructed properly in the first place), so I'd suggest leaving that alone and just removing what you can see, eg NOT getting the blade into the seams themselves. Do one corner at a time, over a period of a few weeks, and leave it the full 3 days to cure before doing the next that way the stability of the tank is kept in tact and you don't need to worry about it falling apart...leave the lengths along the bottom of the tank for last.

Hope this helps.

Cassi

PS I've siliconed over old silicone and it's stuck perfectly fine and held well, just my personal experience.

If it holds water, you probably don't need to disassemble it completely. You can probably strip out the stuff that is sitting on the flat sides of the glass and leave the stuff that is sandwiched in there. Hopefully that will be very closely sandwiched anyway and it would be very hard to get a blade in there to separate it.

In that case, you can tape the outside, strip the inside, reseal the inside (run a bead of silicone down the join and push into the joint with your finger - you'll need less than you imagine and it will be messy, so start with the base and rear joins til you get a feel for it) and then remove the tape and fill. Once you are happy that it is watertight, you can empty, reattach the external plastic strips and pop it on it's newly fixed stand ;)

There are bound to be sites about constructing and resealing tanks somewhere too, with pictures and all :) PIctures are really handy for this sort of thing.

Oh, and it is silicone sealed, yeah? not putty?

• 2 weeks later...

It must be the day to give me a prod about the tank.

A friend for Terang phoned me today and said he is going to start on the tank

if I don't, so it looks like I will pull my finger out and start tomorrow :blush: