Shipping & Oxygen

Terribletegs

Hi everyone,

So, I'm starting to ship fish around the country but it's all still quite new to me...

I seem to be reading conflicting advice around the place. Some sites say you need to pack your bags with oxygen, some say air is fine. Some say it depends on the species.

I would normally be okay with shipping guppies without oxygen (just plenty of air) but I read somewhere that to ship bristlenoses you *need* to use oxygen.

If you do need oxygen, how does one get their hands on some? I'm going with a wild guess here that you can't just drop into Bunnings and pick up an oxygen cylinder... or can you??? Or maybe ask the nice people at the LFS to use theirs?

I am interested to know people's experiences with shipping with air as opposed to oxygen too.

I shouldn't imagine that you need oxygen for anything really, providing you don't overfill or overstock the bags, and that you keep them at the lower end of their temperature range while shipping.

Thanks guys ;)

I asked our fave LFS if they would let us fill the bags there, and they are even going to bag the fish for us.

I don't think the oxygen is really *necessary*, but it's better to be safe than sorry as I'm only new to shipping fish!