Sign in to follow this  
Duv

HELP!

I noticed this morning that Osiris' tail was looking a little ragged.

Well tonight I noticed him curl himself over and eye his tail then all of a sudden he 'pounced' and starting munching away!

He has little red tips and he won't leave it alone!!

What causes this? I did a search but nothing seemed to match what he's doing?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Is he bored perhaps? Mine munched his tail after I moved him out of sight of his other fishy friend....

Bored is what my other half said :)

Only thing is he was in a basic bowl till his new home was finished and he now has a bit more room and somewhere to hide.

He wasn't able to see any other fishies before so I'm guessing thats not it :huh:

He has a little hollow log thingy to hide in/under and a little terracotta pot with java moss in it to 'play' with. There is also the bubbles from the filter at the back of the tank so he can come to the front to rest.

What do I give him to relieve his boredom?

Only thing that comes to mind is that some betta will bite their tails if they see a mirror or reflection, so I'd do a quick check and see if there are any surfaces nearby that could be giving problems, even a black one can create a mirror effect.

in my experience the only time Eric chewed his tail was when I stressed him out... I'm thinking maybe this is what's going on - he's had a BIG change - not only in tank but also in now being able to see other fishies etc... Maybe try and take out some stressors and see if that helps..

The only other instance of tail chewing I had was with my HM frankie, again change of tank and he was in a 'longer' space, I noticed at first that he seemed to be using a lot of energy to get to the top of the water... a few days later... his tail got chewed and he was back to swimming with ease.

Thanks for the replies guys.

He seems better today his tail hasn't got any worse and he is swimming fine so I'm guessing he's got over himself lol

Will look at the things mentioned though and keep an eye on him.

Thanks again

The red tips are an infection. He is biting because the ends are irritating him.

Change the water and add an antibiotic.

Sign in to follow this