1st spawn piccies

luv_my_fish

I thought I would post some **crappy** photos of my first ever spawn.

This is mum 'Jovi'

newarrivals073.jpg

This is dad 'Francois'

random028.jpg

Unfortunately, Jovi got beaten up when I put her back in the sorority tank and didn't make it. Francois passed away about a week ago (I think due to the cold days we've had. He wasn't in a heated tank :cheer: )

These babies hatched on New Years day 2009

This is one of my favourite babies. It is the lightest of them all. This is the one that I posted about having swim bladder disease, but it's fine now

joviandfrancoisspawn1002.jpg (the smaller one)

joviandfrancoisspawn1003.jpg

This one must have gotten into a scuffle before I started jarring some fry, but it's all healed now

joviandfrancoisspawn1001.jpg

I have a few questions about them...

They are a little over 3 months old now, but they are only about the size of Lisa's spawns, maybe a little bigger. Shouldn't I be able to tell which are male and female now? Or does it mean I have all female because none look like they are male?

I'll post more pics after someone replies lol

My babies hatched on NYD too and are now maybe 3 cm long? They are jarred and some are flaring at each other and making bubble nests, and some have long ventrals with white tips, and 2 of my baby girls are showing paler vertical stripes (even though they are still tiny!? what is going on there???) which to me so far is the only real way Ive been able to tell males and females so far. As for most of my fry, I still cant tell what sex they are. I guess just give them some more time to grow out. :(

I'm so relieved to hear that your new years babies are about 3cm long. So are mine! Although there are a few 'runts'.

I know one is definately female because she is showing the vertical bars (even at that young age?). She is next to the one that I think is a male and I think I could be right because she is very interested in him and is showing bars.

I just thought something was wrong because all the aquabid fish look pretty much adult when their description says only 3-3.5 months. I thought I was doing something wrong.

are they jarred yet Mel? They should be easy to sex once you jar them.

I see a number of males in those photos - you can already tell if you know what to look for. Have you read the article/fact sheet on sexing bettas?

I can call in one day and have a go at picking some males out for you, if you like.