Sign in to follow this  
Jess

Shipping Fish

Virgin Blue no longer accept live fish as of the 16th Septmber 2005. You now must use a freight company.

Qantas does not carry live fish in the cargo hold, you must use a freight company.

Jetstar does not carry live fish in the cargo hold, you must use a freight company.

Freight companies

Australian Air Express have set prices per kilo and are very helpful.

Jets pets would not give me a quote and they were very particular in how fish are to be boxed, which is to be decided if your method is OK when you lodge with them. They also stated they are to decide how many fish per box, which results in a higher fee. I would dare say JetPets uses AAE to ship the fish anyhow, so it would be more expensive if you add their service fee on top.

(I have never dealt with Jetpets for fish before, if anyone has dealt with them and have had better luck or can provide info, that would be great :cheer:)

OH no!!!! I was relying on Virgin blue.. Jess, didnt you already have a cargo hold booked for your trip??

AAE was doing well for me until the last shipment to Perth. Once the box cleared AQIS it "disappeared". They "THINK" they gave it out with another shipment. How this is possible I don't know. The box was clearly labelled, the con note not signed. There is an investigation. If anyone in Perth sees or hears of any GOLD bettas being offered for sale, please let me know. Thanks, J

I've been keeping an eye out for them since I first heard about this, but haven't seen anything as yet. This has me dumbfounded. If it was given out with another shipment you would think the accidental recipiant would either return the box to AaE or ring the intended recipient direct since the name and phone number is plastered all over the box :) What a horrible thing for you and the person who bought the fish to have to deal with <_<

What I don't understand as a worker for AAE is how on earth could they not tell who signed for it as all parcels must be signed for and printed as well as scanned and downloaded into the computer base with the recievers name. Surely the aae worker knows what happened and if you still have your connote number should be fully traceable as it would have been matched up with who ever signed for the other boxes as well. I know this happened once at our base and the worker was sacked for undue care (it was there 3rd warning). I mean we even get called direct if they can't find a parcel on our run to see if we have seen it. Just a thought.

If I want to send fish to, say, Perth via AAE, what do I need to do? Can someone please give me a Dummies Guide? Eg: Do I need to buy labels/set up an account first or do I just rock up at the depot with the box?? Do I need to take the fish to the airport/depot myself or will they pick them up? Do they need to be labelled/packaged in some way different from a parcel I am sending via Fastways? Thanks guys :)

If I want to send fish to, say, Perth via AAE, what do I need to do? Can someone please give me a Dummies Guide? Eg:

Do I need to buy labels/set up an account first or do I just rock up at the depot with the box??

Do I need to take the fish to the airport/depot myself or will they pick them up?

Do they need to be labelled/packaged in some way different from a parcel I am sending via Fastways?

Thanks guys :drool:

I don't know what is the base price for sending it to Perth but my friend shipped a 5kg parcel to Perth for $93.46. You don't need to buy label or set an account first. You just come to airport 90 mins before the flight

You need to deliver the parcel yourself to the airport (AAE section). AAE use Qantas to deliver their parcel so you can check Qantas timetable and see which flight suit you. Remember, you must arrive 90 mins before the flight or else, the parcel will be assigned to the next available flight.

Once the parcel has arrived at the destinated place. Your buyer/customer need to pick them up at the destinated airport.

You can pack the parcel the same way as you did with Fastway. Labelled them as usual

The price may change slightly but this is what i can remember:

Melbourne to Goldcoast: $31 (base price) + $9.10/kg thereafter

Melbourne to Brisbane: $28 (base price) + $6.25/kg thereafter

Hope it explained. I use fastway to ship fish to Adelaide, Canberra and Sydney so i won't bother checking it AAE :drool: . You will find that 5 out of 8 operator speaked half heartedly.

Adelaide to Perth is a base price of about $48-$50 and $1.80 per kilo afterwards :drool: thats going by last one I did in may.

The recent shipment from JL to Perth by AAE was 3.8kg and $50 if that helps. I had 8 fish and other misc. products (ketapang extract, big thing of BBS, etc.) in the box.

I have an account and the rates are better than an 'over the counter' cash transaction. All carriers have a basic charge plus a rate per kg charge. Fish are shipped as perishables. This means the carrier has a 24hr window in which to send them. So if you put a consignment on in the morning, it may not arrive until early the next day. Most small consignments (eg one box) will make the next flight. If you have several boxes, that's when the fun starts. A consignment can be "bumped" several times until it makes a flight. Depends a lot on passenger baggage. Sending fish during school hollidays is a nightmare! Cheers, J

Sign in to follow this