Sign in to follow this  
Bettarazzi

EDAS Auction Saturday 18th April

Those Melbournians that missed out on the VCS Auction because it clashed with the Melbourne Betta Gathering have the chance to pick up a bargain at the EDAS Auction this Saturday.

SATURDAY APRIL 18TH

Venue: Waratah Room, Whitehorse Centre, Whitehorse Road, Nunawading

Melway Map Ref 48 G9

Sellers goods received from 11:30 am

Auction begins at 12:30 pm

Any one can sell - Anyone can buy

Seller's must be members of EDAS but you can join on the day

10 lots per box - 3 box limit

no more than 3 lots the same in any box

The Auction will comprise fish, plants and accessories - some new, some used. There will be good bargains for buyers and fair prices for sellers. A 20% commission is levied to cover rental, advertising and other costs.

I think I might try to get down to Melbourne and have a look

I would love to get my hands on some goodies

Let me know if you're going. I'll consider going if I've got someone to chat with. It gets excruciatingly boring sitting through hundreds of lots of cichlids and bristlenoses while I'm waiting for something I want. It's a very long day. Starts at 12.30 pm and probably still going at 8.30 pm.

The bargains often happen at the end when there are fewer people buying. But if you're not there at the beginning you can miss out on the rare plants and cheap filters.

EDAS stands for Eastern Districts Aquarium Society. An offshoot of the Aquarium Society of Victoria. I think there used to be other District Aquarium societies. Imagine that! Four or five aquarium societies in the one city.

Not really. Does containers of microworms count? lol It does seem like an awfully long day though. What stuff do they look at selling/buying there? Plants, tanks, filters, fish? Much betta related stuff?

I am always looking for cheap equipment and plants.

I go to look for things like peps L183 and if I get some I know of 2 other people that want some too (we all keep an eye out for what the others want)

Electric blue and yellows or a trio of L134s

hey Razzie are they dog friendly ???? I have a dog that is epileptic and needs meds on time,after the MBG he had a couple of big Grand Mal's

only 2 hours late with his meds

I will be going even if I have to bribe a student for the College to come in and medicate the dog :cheer:

Edited by jo oakley

Ooh... sorry about the dog Jo. Poor bugger. I suppose you could bring the dog and leave him outside. I'm not sure if it would be ok to bring him inside. Depending on how long you're planning on staying it could be a very long day. The poor fella will be extremely bored. You don't have to stay the whole time.

Here's what happened that one time I attended. The sellers are allowed to bring up to 3 boxes. Those that have 3 boxes usually have 3 boxes of the same stuff. All the first boxes are dealt with before 2nd and 3rd boxes so that buyers don't have to sit through the sale of 3 boxes of the same stuff one after the other. The boxes are all laid on a table in the order that they arrived. Now I don't think buyers are supposed to do what I'm about to tell you. But several people walked up and down the table checking what was for sale. The boxes were either unlidded or the auction form was visible so you could see what was on offer. And you could also ascertain which lot had stuff you were interested in and once you've sat through the bidding for a few boxes you'll be able to estimate how long it would take to get there.

If you can't go for the whole 8 hours (and I know I certainly can't) then the decision to go early or go late is a difficult one. Going early means you get to bid on all the first boxes. Being there at the end means that stuff in the 3rd boxes start to go extremely cheap because often the seller would rather not take it home. But there's also less variety at the end. The sort of stuff that tends to have many of the same lots are common plants, bristlenoses and cichlids. The stuff that usually comes in single lots are things like rare plants, 2nd hand filters, 2nd hand tanks, killifish, catfish etc.

You need to know your prices, for the things you're looking for. Sometimes the auction frenzy can take over and items can go for much higher than usual. A lot of plants which you normally can only get from other hobbyists might come up but I've seen these go for higher than they get sold during the year.

Don't expect bettas to come up. Betta barracks might be a possibility. But don't bank on it. Second hand tanks might come up. Filters. Sometimes someone getting out of the hobby will offer their odds and ends box and it'll be filled with heaters, filters, etc etc.

Anything aquarium hobby related can be sold or bought. It's a good place to get rid of excess stuff if you don't much care about what you get for it. If you have fish for sale I recommend bring good pictures on a CD or USB stick. Make it easy on the guy operating the pictures by naming the files. Actually, if you're intending to do this it might be worth checking with EDAS. There should be contact details on http://www.edas.com.au

Razzie I was thinking of having a look earlier in the day,

after the 3 hour each way makes it a long day and I hate the

drive on the very thin twisty turny roads at night.

I am sure I am going to hit a cow, around here its like Russian roulette

When you do hit one that when the fun begins.

anyway might see yeah there around 12.30

and dog free I think the stress of it all would send into a fit anyway

He has his meds twice daily he is a poor thing to happy to stressed he has a fit,eat the wrong thing=fit

and Wednesday night just before I left to run my painting group he broke out in

welts an needed his antihistamines(he is on meds than I am)

OK, that's when I was thinking of going as well. Might only stay a couple of hours. I'm really only interested in plants and killifish. And I think the killifish guy usually gets his box in early so it should be pretty close to the front of the queue. Assuming of course that he actually turns up.

Well AAQ members put up a decent showing at the auction. Apart from me there was Jo Oakley, axoloto, winterwhite, MelbBill, bozzz and probably a few more who I didn't recognise well enough to put a username to. Oh, and KillieOrCory attended by phone proxy. :giggle:

MelbBill got the Orange australe that I had my eye on. That'll teach me to umm and ahh. At an auction, when in doubt, just put your hand up. ;) I missed out on some corydoras as well but I hadn't prepared well enough and didn't know their normal prices which made me very undecisive. However I did get a pair of N. palmqvisti, some crypts but the best thing I got was a massive bunch of narrow leaf java fern for only $26. Hehehee.... I knew the price for those plus shipping. I left soon after that. What did everyone else buy? Jo had been sitting on her hands up to that point, wishing she'd brought some bristlenose for sale.

Had a great time and scored some bargains as well. Two long fin albino bristelnose, a couple of neon cats, trio of pepermints and two very strange leafy stick insects.

TOTAL cost $96.00 :giggle:

I really enjoyed myself next time I won't try to visit 3 different people as well,

With all my good intentions I didn't get home unlit 9.30pm!

Found spy looking like this, he's booked into the vet 8.45am Monday morning, I don't no if its stress or an allergy that sets him of

Picture003.jpgPicture002.jpgPicture009.jpg

On a good note my Copper HMPK male and PKDT female spawned when I was out ;) I have been trying with other Betas for 6 weeks now, this pair spawned in less than 18 hours

Anyway back to the auction I only spent $5 on a gravel vacuum.

I not to sure what to do with it yet, I am glad its a bit cold and gray over here so I will play with today

Axoloto you got what you wanted, :giggle: was it right at the end? How big are the LABNs and the Peps, I want some so green!!!

and how did you son react to the stick insects?

Razzie the Narrow Java fern is a little beauty, and I would love to see the fish you bought with their full colour.

There were stick insects there? I love those. Lucky I left. As it was, after only 2 hours I was already starting to suffer from fish fever. Although admittedly the infection probably began at the betta gathering. But in the last couple of weeks I've acquired new fish, new plants, new tanks, lights, pumps, test kits, ahh..... it's the slippery slope. :giggle:

:lol:Congrats on your new spawn Jo.

The long fins are about five or six cm and the peps are only about one and a half cm.

Ya Bettarazzi, I too love these little stick insects.

As for my son, He wants to start breeding the sticks...

P4192699-2.jpg

Even the bettas came to have a look

P4192709.jpg

Edited by axoloto

I'm bummed I couldn't make it. We took our 4yo & 2yo (her very first time) to the MCG to watch the footy.... Lets just say I know where I would have rather been!

i bought a pair of Whiptail Catfish for $24. what a bargain.

went to subscape yesterday, it's $24 per whiptail..

now i'm all hooked on whiptail catfish..trying to get my hands on some royal whiptail

didn't know MelbBill was there..or else, i would have come up and say hi

Very observant of you Lilli, I wonderd if anyone would pick that out.

My kids call him charlie. Home to a big black pleco that pokes his head out

of the mouth every so often. :confused:

I know your joking splendidbetta.

No not a real skull, Charlie was made in china out of resin :confused:

DAMN IT!!! another i have missed.... razzie.. im nominating you to send me a pm when the next one comes around... that makes two that i have missed... not happy jan... lol

glad you guys had fun...

Sign in to follow this