betta with slight spoonhead

holycow

hi peoples,

have two male bettas with a slight spoonhead, that is, a slightly sloped head which results in the lips pointing slightly upwards. the dip starts from about the eye. otherwise the betta is a very nice hmpk. would you breed? is spoonhead a genetic deformity?

regards,

ty

ps. can't post pic as camera is piece of crap

Edited by holycow

It is regarded as a defect, as best I know. There's a link here somewhere to the IBC guidelines, maybe they say something about it. Splendidbetta is on a mission to eliminate that particular characteristic, unless he means something else by 'topline defect'.

I personally find it quite an appealing characteristic, but if it was pronounced I wouldn't breed with it.

yeah, i noticed splendid's comments on other websites. quite a zealot. and yes, spoonhead was one of the characteristics he was gunning for.

after doing a bit more research, spoonhead seems to be a legacy of the thai fighting plakats.

I wouldn't be able to tell you without seeing a photo of this particular fish, whether I personally would breed it.

The IBC does consider topline irregularities to be faults.

We don't know how much of it is dependent on genetics versus environmental factors.

Of course it's totally your choice whether to breed it. If you don't mind the trait and you think the betta's other traits compensate for it, and you're ready to not breed from any offspring that show exaggerated topline issues, then go ahead ;) .