Heater advice for small aquariums.

ruthoman

I keep my betta in individual enclosed 4.5 litre aquariums with hood & light & was just curious as to any suggestions for keeping them warmer in winter. At the moment with the lights on it keeps it at around 27 degrees but I guess when the weather starts to cool, am I going to need to think about mini heaters or are there any other suggestions for keeping them warm (particularly at night). I didn't really want to have the lights going 24/7 in winter. Just curious as to how other people handle the cooler weather? I do live in Qld so it's not going to be bitterly cold, but it certainly can get chilly at night & on some of the cooler days. Any help would be appreciated :bighug:

I live on the peninsula (Redcliffe) and I don't have any heaters in my individual tanks. I've not experienced any temp. problems to date.

If it's chilly enough to put the heater on, would it be possible to move the tanks into the same or near the same room? My fish are sort of scattered throughout the house (kinda hoping hubby won't notice them too much) so I tend to keep the whole house at a constant temp. I know some people find it a lot easier to keep all the fish in one room and just heat the room thereby doing away with individual tank heaters... but with 5 kids, I don't have a spare room ;)

Well I'm not too far up the road from you in Mooloolah, so hopefully if I keep the main room warm where they are we should be ok. I was just thinking while I was away at work for the day as well but I guess I could leave the light on during the day? I've not had my fish over a winter yet so just not sure what to expect...

Down here the daytime temps are ok, it's night that is the problem. If you can heat your fish room constantly even when your not home, they should be ok without individual heaters. For me it's not an option, this house is very open plan, so it's far cheaper to run the tank heaters than try and warm the house.

I've ran a 25w heater in a 4.5 litre tank for 2 years without a problem, BUT, the risk is high that one day it will break and cook the fish. Those 7.5w weren't available before, but would be far safer, not to mention cheaper to run. Now I know about them (thanks for the Link Peter!) I wouldn't use the 25w again.

Has anyone tried the reptile heating pads (see photo below) to heat multiple small tanks?

Reptile wire (I think someone here mentioned it) could also work.

Reptile_PET_Heated_Pads.jpg

Edited by Cm7

The 7.5 watt looks like they could be the go. My fish are situated in my main living area so they can see the telly (they love Animal Planet) & the various rescued dogs & cats lying around, so when we're around if cold enough the heater will be on, but I guess it's just at night that the flat 7.5 watt may come in handy. The only thing is there is no thermostat to regulate the temperature, do you think that will be a problem?

I looked these up on their website,

and they only increase the temp. by approx. 2 degrees.

So it would depend on how cold your room got at night.

I've been looking at them as well.

Age of Aquariums seems to be the cheapest for these and the 25watts, and they will beat any cheaper price found.

Has anyone found them cheaper?

7.5 watt $24.00

25 watt mini heater $18.00

At least the 25watt is fully adjustable, so I think I will go with that one.