Sign in to follow this  
bubbzy81

OMG! I have Easter Sunday fry!

I cannot believe it! In my attempt to achieve that ever elusive first spawn, I put 2 of my pet veiltails together just to see how'd they go. Because I work a lot & run around after 2 children when I'm not working, I hadn't kept a super close eye on them - just left them to their own devices really. So I didn't witness them spawn (I wasn't sure if they even had!), but I just went & checked on them & there are dozens of little fry swimming around! MY EASTER SUNDAY FRY! YIPPPPEEEEEEE! :cheer: Although I went into a state of panick when I realised mum was still in there! EK! & sent me into a mad dash for the net!

I have to send out a big THANK YOU! to Lisa who has been my guru & my brain to pick when I was feeling like it was all too much for me. She has been the biggest help! Thank you Lisa! :)

congratulations!!!! it's easier when you don't check on them and just let them do their thing..what a wonderful way to spend your easter day..sticking your face to the tank checking out fry lol..

Oh it's just the best! I screamed so loud my partner come running thinking something bad had happened. Then my 4 year old came running & threw his arms around me & said "I'm so proud of you Mummy!". It was so sweet! They all know how much this means to me!

Hey bubbzy.. congrats on the fry!!!

I practiced with VT's too to get the hang of raising the little ones to adulthood. After I worked out the live food bit with MW's and bbs etc I found it pretty easy to get them to grow.

Hope you end up with lots of little fish pressing their faces to the glass begging you for food like my lot do all the time!!!

PS: don't forget the pics :)

I already had MW cultures growing (PHEW!), but I'm off to attempt my first bbs hatch... Now the pressures on!

Awesome news Holly, I am so happy for you!!! :)

This is when a bucket of MW comes in handy, LOL!

Do you have some good bbs eggs with a high guaranteed hatch rate? They're worth the investment. Getting the conditions right for a bbs hatch is a bit hit and miss. remember that the hardness/pH is as important as the salinity and try and make sure your hatching water tests alkaline. You can use some bicarb to buffer it up (no need to worry about pH swings in the bbs water, lol). Also I find it useful to use a hydrometer and make up a whole big batch of water and just scoop into it as needed. Very handy and time saving for busy working mums!

Let me know if you want some of my new secret weapon (vinegar eels). I have been growing giant steroidal fry ever since I started using VE with every feed :cheer:.

Thanks Lisa. Well I bought the MW weeks ago & it just keeps growing & growing. I now have 4 soon to be 6 conatiners of it! lol I got some VE culture, but the whole VE thing was just so confusing. I would love to use it, but I just didn't get it! I bought some brine shrimp eggs from someone & the demo I watched on youtube said to use a pinch of bi-carb as a buffer. So I'm off to do that now. But one question, do they need heat?

they'll hatch faster with heat. About 18 - 24 hours at 25C + IME.

It so cool to hear that you have your fist spawn :)

I started with VTs and some of them looked good in the end.

I still find I can sit and watch the little guys for hours.

With BS you need to keep them between 26-28 degrees C to get them to hatch in 24 hours

I tend to let them hatch in their own time, I do make sure they get some light .

Excellent news! Congratulations on the fry. Pity you missed the spawning sequence as it's such a beautiful thing.

I would've loved to have seen them spawn. But luckily for me I have seen it before with my last 2 attempts. I watched both of my CT's spawn - even though they turned out to be horrible fathers! I even managed to get some video of one of them. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen!

Edited by Bettarazzi
deleted quote

Oh, I misunderstood when you said you were chasing the elusive first spawn. I see, you've had several spawns just not any that have hatched. You know the Thai farms that I visited spawn their bettas in opaque containers and they don't look at them for a whole week. Maybe not looking at them is the trick.

Sorry Michael, yeah I meant a spawn that actually ended up with any sort of result. lol But I'm sure the Thai have the right idea, just look at their results. Stunning fish! My first 2 attempts I watched them like a hawk, but then these 2 (yes I have another male with eggs in his nest that he's guarding furiously!!!) I was so flat out, I just put them together & left them well alone & the results have been my best so far. So I'm wrapped! Although my first 2 attempts were with CTs & Jo Oakley was telling me that they can be notoriously hard to breed.

Wow, fantastic Holly!!!!

I love this:

"Then my 4 year old came running & threw his arms around me & said "I'm so proud of you Mummy!".

That was so lovely.

We have fry hatching this morning, from an VT with long fin extensions (he looks like some sort of crossbred), and a Green Snow HMPK girl.

Whoa! 80+ fry! ;)

Pretty impressive for your first ever actually hatched spawn. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Goodluck lol

Thanks Ann. I'm wrapped coz the very next day 2 of the fish I got from Nina at the MBG had fry! So I had Easter Sunday & Easter Monday fry! At least I won't be able to forget those dates! The Easter Monday fry doesn't have very many in it, but he is only a VERY young fish. I think approx 4mths old, but he's a terrific dad!

As for the 80 fry, I'm very impressed, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure I'll lose a few of them especially seeing as it's my very first surviving spawn & I'm sure to make a few mistakes!

Congrats on both spawns :cheer:.

It's always exciting waiting to see whether it'll work and then when it does, amongst the euphoria, is the reality check... OMG *lol* to keep them alive... Good Luck :goodo:

Sign in to follow this