Sign in to follow this  
Bettarazzi

Red veiltail with extremely long pectorals

This is a fish belonging to Ann (a little oc) that she brought to the Melbourne Betta Gathering last weekend. I took a few snapshots before it went home. The pectorals are really, really long! They're as long as the ventrals.

I also had 3 before, regret that only one of them had low resolution photo, very beautiful fishes!!!

ap_20070317085452862.jpg20070317085507751.jpg

these pop up every now and then.

Would be interesting to see if someone could establish a line of butterfly fins.

Cheers, J

Great shots Michael. I loved that fish! I even gave him a mintie in our judging comp because I thought he was just a hoot!

Anybody want to try to bring that trait into halfmoon? It'd be a lot of work. Without a big farm, I think it would take several hobbyists working as a team. There are a lot of unknowns so it's going to be very experimental and possibly frustrating work.

Someone should at least cross it to HM initially just to see whether we are dealing with dominant trait/s here. From there we'll know how hard it might be to conserve the long pecs while developing the rest of the finnage.

I wonder whether longfin is necessary to show a noticeable enlargement of the pectoral. HMPKs would be so much easier for developing the finnage.

we also have an orange one here.

His fins aren't quite as long, but they are a lot wider.

If anyone wishes to use them, they are most welcome

Well I'm certainly interested in seeing how far we can develop them. If no-one else does first, I might give them a go over the next couple months :D

I've got a lovely little veiltail girl that would go nicely. I wonder what would happen if I spawned them - just to see if it's dominant trait or not. Or I've got a couple of halfmoons girls, but the colouring wouldn't match up.

Well I'd be crossing him to a full iridescent female, in line with my own colour goals, so I wouldn't worry what colour your HM female is :lol: The priority here is the pectoral fins and HM form.

Holly, you could always breed him to several females. Some could be a better colour match and others could be purely for finnage.

I took this male home today :cheer: Thanks Ann!

I will first try him with this female:

http://superbbettas.com/Breeding%20Stock%2...1F001Album.html

"HMPK. Teal, possible Melano/Black Lace, Marble and Light-body carrier. Bred by Stefan Psarakos in Australia."

from this spawn: http://superbbettas.com/SPS001.html

Or one of her young daughters, who carries DT.

I'll set up a spawn tank soon :)

Oh Stefan, I'm super jealous! I've got a goregous veiltail girl that would match him perfectly! I think the long pectorals looked beautiful on the veiltail. Suited the long, flowy finnage perfectly. I'm so interested to see the outcome. Keep us posted Stefan.

Ann still has the orange one, she might be willing to share him around too :cheer: While you have him you could try him with your HM fems as well :)

Sign in to follow this