bubbzy81

Spawning

When spawning, if a male attacks a female so badly she dies (RIP my gorgeous delta girl), do you dare put another female with him or is that just asking for trouble???

Also, this may sound so daft, but it is ok for females to have bellies FULL of eggs? I've got girls that look like they're going to burst, but I don't have the room or time to spawn them ATM. Is it ok for them to be like that?

Re 1 - yes you can, but just supervise them. He may just not have liked the one who died (I'm really sorry to hear that!! That's never happened to me :D ) or not been in the mood. I would probably retire such a male personally, as I am not home to supervise.

Re 2 - females can get egg bound. Sometimes they will drop their eggs if they're too full, though. I have not had this problem so maybe someone else has a suggestion.

I'll be interested in the reply to the second question too Bubzy, I have a girl that is filling up fast while her sister who I had planned to spawn next is still average. I wasn't going to use her at all, but will that put her at risk?

Well that's the problem L, I work evenings so I got a msg from my other half saying I'd lost her. & there I was sitting at work feeling very helpless. & I'm glad to hear my girls aren't in any trouble. But I have to laugh, they so remind me of my balloon mollies when they're like that!

Our male was building a nest, so we put a girl in with him,

They seemed over excited,

and destroyed the nest, mainly with him chasing her.

She had slightly torn fins.

Then we sat the girl in a jar next to the male's tank,

so they could get used to each other.

He had an average bubble nest,

but when we put her next to him, he built a huge bubble nest.

Then when we put them back together, they accepted each other really well.

They spawned within a day.

There was no further damage to her fins.