Albino BN spawn

axoloto

I love them when they are small

my young one have started to show some bristles it only seems like yesterday I posted the baby photos

and the look all male??

How many do you think he is looking after?

I like his colour

I am thinking of getting some platinums

Good to hear your good news! The little ones stick themselves to anything they can and very soon go to work looking for food just like the adults do. Are yours the short fin or long fins?

Good to hear yours are going well too Jo. What are platinums - are they another type of bristlenose? My first spawn is up to about 3cm body size now but no bristles yet and the next batch are up to 1cm - great little fish! My longfined albinos are about half way to breeding size now.

taking the pics I did find one girl I hope.

I don't know whats up in my fish room.

BN mostly male and the combtail spawn only gave me 3 girls??

something in the water :o

If you have some peps that need a home :)

Edited by jo oakley

Sorry Jo the peps are here to stay. Ive been chasing deals far and wide to get my colony together.

I even dug deep to get my hands on a few of em. Holding back on some I came across, knowing one

day I'll most likely be raising my own colonies. Im after six colonies all up. I recon that it might take

awhile to birth and raise , but after Im done you could probably get some off me.

I should really get a female for my male peppermint! I want peppermint babies. I think I might just strip my 3.4ft tank, get a new strong filter for water circulation and get a bunch of baby peppermints (I know a breeder I can get them for $10 ea from) and raise them, hoping a few pair off.

I really want baby BN, my common pair won't even spawn for me! I'm doing something wrong

They eat whatever the bettas don't, mainly frozen blood worms. They also get carrots, zucchini and algae pellets about twice a week.

I have four all up 2 males and 2 females. When I give them a water change ,the tank drops slightly in temperature, the idea is to simulate rainy season.

And like you, I use lots of oxygen.

To spawn in, they only have two small pots I picked up at a two dollar shop.

They are the short fin variety.

How old are yours fishbites?

My first spawn of albino short fins are 8 weeks old I think and about 3cm at the moment. I have 28 of them and the next spawn I have 15 at about 1cm - probably 3 weeks old. Also have the albino longfins at about 4cm plus about 2cm of tail! I've got their tank heavily planted now and quite a bit of current (thanks to a suggestion from Jo) and they seem to be quite happy in there.

Cassie my common pair still won't breed either - don't know why so I've relegated them to a plastic tub for a while till I get some more glass and build a low profile bristlenose tank for them - I think I have 3 males and 3 females so fingers crossed eventually.

I'm waiting to hear if I can get some peppermints (from Brisbane 6 for $50 @ 3cm and Gold Coast $8 each @ 2.5cm) and orange spots from a breeder at the moment.

Jo, Google said no results for my search on the platinum bristlenoses - do you have any pics of them at all? They sound interesting.

Jo,

I had 2 males and one female together in one tank and 1 male/1female in another plus a loner being used as a vacuum cleaner.

I've noticed a lot of bristlenoses for sale as trios so that must be the best recipe as you suggest.

I'm going to build a low tank just for the bristlenoses with a bit of length to it so it can be divided if necessary. A trio might be the way to go for your BN's too Cassie.

Thanks Jo.

Well there is a trio in there of commons. A pair that have bred before that I bought of Shiona when she was getting out of the fish thing (or seriously downsizing) and I got a bunch of their babies with them but the babies slowly disappeared and I don't know why! I also had a female common in before I got that pair so there are 2 female and 1 male commons and a male peppermint. It's quite funny coz they all live in this tiny space under a lava rock in my 3.4ft tank. I don't know how they all fit, 4 adult sized BN under there and I think the clown loach jams himself in there too on occasion. I might take a look for some pots at the Crazy Clarks or something today

Axoloto, don't suppose you could post a pic of the pots you use? I'm not sure exactly what to look for

That looks exactly like a pot I got from the Reject Shop up here axoloto... A pair of albino convicts have evicted everything else and taken over the pot to spawn in.

Another idea for caves with a more natural look - I went to a tile shop locally and they had a bin full of broken slate floor tiles - each (if unbroken) is about 6-8mm thick and about 250mm long x 100mm wide. These siliconed together should make great natural looking caves for the bristlenoses. I'll see if I can get one done this weekend and see what it looks like.

Jo - hope the BN's are great looking. I've been doing a lot of research on the BN's and the L numbers - seems the peppermints we have in Australia are mainly the L183's but these are listed overseas as Starlite Bristlenoses. There is no listing for platinum bristlenoses so will be really keen to see yours when you get them.