Mollies ARRGH!

Ok, today and my partner went on one of our aquarium runs and against my best inklings decided to go buy two lyretail mollies. :lol:

They're very beautiful fish, one pristine white and one jet black.....

Now, they seemed to be fine whilst in the fishy bag, now that they're in my tank the white one keeps chasing my beautiful pineapple swordtail and of all things "my blue ram"

I'm a little stressed for my other fishes.

I was reading on the net many different things, but I was hoping maybe you guys could tell me a little about their experiences with them or impart some wisdom as to how they are in communal tanks

Ok, today and my partner went on one of our aquarium runs and against my best inklings decided to go buy two lyretail mollies. :D

They're very beautiful fish, one pristine white and one jet black.....

Now, they seemed to be fine whilst in the fishy bag, now that they're in my tank the white one keeps chasing my beautiful pineapple swordtail and of all things "my blue ram"

I'm a little stressed for my other fishes.

I was reading on the net many different things, but I was hoping maybe you guys could tell me a little about their experiences with them or impart some wisdom as to how they are in communal tanks

Fish are like people. You get some peaceful persons and some agros.

I too have a couple of Mollies and they fit into the tank community very well.

I also have an angel fish which so far is peaceful. Last Angel fish I had was ultra aggressive to the point I had to put hum by himself. He also grew to a large size and when he grew bigger it was then that he started attacking the smaller fish.

I finished up swapping him for some other fish at the local fish store.

I've only kept platy, which are similar in personality I believe. With them they did best in a group of at least five, with more females than males. They don't school, but have a definite pecking order they maintain with short bouts of chasing and nipping. My guess is that in the absence of enough molly's to show him respect and make him feel important, or at least put him in his place, he's decided to put your blue ram in order!

• 2 weeks later...