can I get an opinion

Guest shade

Guest shade

Hi all,

Would someone please give me a hint as to whether this is the begging of fin rot. I haven't never seen a case of fin rot to have anything to go by.

these photos were taken a couple of days ago and since then it seems a couple of blades on his tail have even curled up a bit, before they were just sort of crooked.

I was thinking a little salt might do the trick to nail it down before it becomes serious. and if this is likely to work, what kind of salt do you use. I presume you dont use kitchen salt :confused:

JupiterPhoenix_2.jpg

JupiterPhoenix_3.jpg

these two are from a few mins ago (thought i'd best take up to date ones)

jupiterphoenix_6.jpg

jupiterphoenix_5.jpg

Looks more like ray curl. The water looks very 'clean' to me. Bettas do better (sorry about the pun) in water with some tannins, IME. See if you can get some Indian Almond Leaf for the water and also get him some direct sunlight for say 20 minutes a day.

Guest shade

thanks, I'm glad to hear it isnt harmful, the water is very clean in this tank because it is an unfiltered tank and the water gets changed once a week. I am in the process of moving my 3 bettas to better accommodation. so far one has made the leap to a small filtered tank. I have been reading about IAL today and have decided to get some. he does get some good natural sun through the day though. How much is too much?

If you're in brisbane (sorry can't tell as there is no location info under your name - it's always a good idea to put that in :censor: ) ... and you can get to Annerly Jodie (someone) has some water conditoner that is made on IMA extract - I use it as my primary water condition now for all my babies and adults, and have not had any troubles with it at all :confused: (I actually like the smell of it haha...) It makes the water darker in colour and you do have to explain to people no the water isn't dirty its the trannins :rant: