Female Betta

bubbzy81

I've been pondering all day about just putting all of my female betta in a 2 foot tank together. Is it ok to keep 14 females in a 2ft tank? Is that even enough space? Or would you keep them sepreated as I am currently doing? :P It's just I could use the extra space.

I've been pondering all day about just putting all of my female betta in a 2 foot tank together. Is it ok to keep 14 females in a 2ft tank? Is that even enough space? Or would you keep them sepreated as I am currently doing? :confused: It's just I could use the extra space.

I'm not sure about 14 of them......I have 4 together in one of my 3 foot tanks.....

Hmmm......not sure.....probably not 14 is my guess

i think that keeping them together realy depends your prefrence and the space you have ATM i am haveing space isuses so my

six girls are together and my giant is by her self i will be seperating them when i get set up though but im sure that there will be some left together

i dont think 2 ft is a bad size considering ive seen 12 in a large brandy glass that you get from $2 shop half filled with water (stupid :confused::censor: pet shop yes i let them have it :rant: ) as long as it is done slowly and there are lots of hiding spots you should be fine

ive seen 12 in a large brandy glass

Let's hope a drunk doesn't wander into the shop!!!

14 should be ok as long as the water quality stays good - adequate filtration or water changes. With that many females in a small tank you could get some fin nipping going on while they are sorting out who's boss etc.

How many litres is the 2' tank? About 80?

I think 14 should be ok. Maybe not fine, but ok. With that many any aggression will be distributed fairly broadly. Probably better to have 14 together than 4 for that reason, provided that the tank and filter accommodates them as Wayne said, which I imagine a 2' will.

Tell them to line up in single file... no pushing and shoving... take one piece of food each.... then if there's left overs they can come back for seconds.... :confused:

Seriously... I have four females in a compartment and they seem to get their fair share - pushing and shoving - the occasional nip at each other - often one will go below the others at the surface and eat anything they spit out or that falls past them. They are usually pretty good at getting their fair unless there is a smaller more timid fish. If you want to condition just one fish (hope you're not going to spawn 14 at once! icon4.gif) I would make her feel special in her own tank / container then I know she would be getting her special diet.

with mine when I had them all in a tank together I would just make sure to distribute food over different area's of the tank ie feed in one corner then another so that they didn't have to 'fight' for food...

one thing I'll suggest is maybe look at picking up one of those 4 part betta containers that you can hang on the inside of a big tank - i got one of these to isolate the girls who where just that little bit to aggressive ... that way they could be in with the others, but not rip them to bits LOL It was good to have on hand just in case someone needed a time out :confused:

Edited by Peta(&Eric)

yeah and the great thing about them is that you don't have to have all four sections in at once, as the sides are removable. I had one between two for the most part as there was just two girls that would not get along with the others :lol:

actually dug up this old photo ... as you can see their are two girls in the compartment - have half each, and there are actually 3 girls on the outside ... It always cracked me up come feed time as the girls would see food on the outside of the container and try to get at it... or the girls on the outside would see stuff on the inside and try and get that...

IMG_3755.jpg

Edited by Peta(&Eric)

Thanks for your tips everyone. I still don't know if I want to risk it. Would you introduce them slowly? A couple at a time?

actually dug up this old photo ... as you can see their are two girls in the compartment - have half each, and there are actually 3 girls on the outside ... It always cracked me up come feed time as the girls would see food on the outside of the container and try to get at it... or the girls on the outside would see stuff on the inside and try and get that...

This is where I currently have some of my girls. They look like they're in together but they're not. There's a divider down the middle, then a removable section of glass diagonally in each half which cuts them into triangles. But I think someone forgot to tell them about the dividers. They too go mental through the glass trying to get everybody elses food they can see! Silly girls!

DSCF0403.jpg

I found Isolation nets, made by Aqua one, which I am currently using to keep my females separate they truly are GREAT, i have the large ones so the females have 5L of space =)

The net means the water circulates and is filtered, and i simply siphon the bottom of the net when needed. The best part they cost each $10.

They simply hang on the side of the glass

kylie

from what ive been taught is what Lilli said.. Putting them all in together at the same time wont allow any to establish that it's 'their' territory, and a certain few having already established a pecking order- with new ones coming in...

Same with bringing new fish home.. Moving ornaments etc allowing it to seem like a 'new' place and no territories being established.

I'm actually going to be doing this in the near future myself too ... have to set up a new tank for it. Have five new girls coming in and need to make room and just don't have the shelf space with all the babies etc already taking up so much room (wasn't planning on having a new 6 additions to my family - getting a male as well - had brought 3 fish on aquabid in december never got sent - sender finally sent them plus an extra 3 fish - ARGH!)

I think for conditioning what you could do is remove the girl you want to use and put her into a tank/bennie box on her own to condition as you condition the male as well. After all, after spawning she's also going to need her own space to recover before going back into the big girl tank