Just wondering if people would use my home made tanks.

nonchalant_16

Well over the past year I had been making tanks out of window slats. Now I have had success in breeding in my longer ones (2 foot or so which holds around 25ltrs). I have set up display tanks also which I have found they look great on shelfs. But I was wondering if anyone else would use them.

I enjoy making them in my spare time (thats when I'm not too busy with my 2 toddlers and too many horses). Now I'm planing to start making some again as I am getting back into breeding now my horse show season is over (untill later in the year). But I was wondering how many of you out there would be interested in buying (or swapping for bettas) some of my tanks.

I have never had a leak once completed and I make them as nice looking as I can. I can make them with white around the edges (and i think i can get the trim in other colors) or they could be painted too I guess. The depth is around 16-20cms and so is the width and the length ranges from 1 foot to 3 foot+.

I might even learn to make custom size tanks in the future too.

Now as they are glass of course I cannot post them all over the country, but we could use a courrier service or I could deliver to Central vic and possably melbourne some times.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I will get back into it and start to make some more!

Here is some photos of my display tank.

DSCF0116.jpg

DSCF0106.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

It's a very neat looking tank, and the long and narrow shape is ideal for many places, like the kinda shelf space you have your one on. I'm not in Vic unfortunately!

Curious about the glass tho, how many mm is it? Do you know how it compares to the glass usually used to make aquariums?

It's a very neat looking tank, and the long and narrow shape is ideal for many places, like the kinda shelf space you have your one on. I'm not in Vic unfortunately!

Curious about the glass tho, how many mm is it? Do you know how it compares to the glass usually used to make aquariums?

As its second hand glass it varies between 6 and 10mm thick. So far they seem pretty strong. As the sizes are not "large" and do not hold huge mass of water they seem to be quiet fine to hold the water. I have also made one with a green glass backing and that made the tank colour when set up look pretty cool, and I have more sheets of different types of glass that I am going to test (a bumpy surface glass for backing, bottom or sides). I've found that my bettas seem to like them and I have had a go at making barracks with a gap where your gravel would be, but I'm still getting the measurements and glass cutting down pat. Its a messy project but I always love the end result.

The tanks would seem ideal for bettas, killiefish and pseudomugil species.

I am in Melbourne and would be more than willing to trial such a tank, given that the price is reasonable. I am finding it increasingly harder in Melbourne to source the smaller size tanks - many shops are now going into marines. If you are within 2-3 hours of Melbourne, people would often be willing to travel.

I would be very hard pressed to find a shop in Melbourne that offered more than a 12 month guarantee on the seals on tanks.

Hope your venture goes well and looking forward to hearing when you are ready to sell some tanks

the question is - are you willing to accept the legal liability? The tank makers I use have public liability and guarantee their work for 5 years.

What if a tank breaks? What if someone is injured?

J

As they are small tanks only holding from 10 to 30ltrs depending on length made from thick glass they should be quite safe but would also be sold as 2nd hand items as the glass is 2nd hand. 2nd hand items dont always come with any guarentee. I was purely trying to offer smaller tanks suitable to Betta's and the like at a decent price for other hobbist. Caveat Emptor.

I would definitely try one if I lived there. Perhaps your tanks would be a good addition to the DIY section. If you don't mind sharing how you proceed to put them together, I know many of us would appreciate your experience! Especially those of us not close enough to buy one ready made!

I would definitely try one if I lived there. Perhaps your tanks would be a good addition to the DIY section. If you don't mind sharing how you proceed to put them together, I know many of us would appreciate your experience! Especially those of us not close enough to buy one ready made!

That could be a good idea... What I will do is I'll go buy some more supplies and take some photos as I go along making one, and do a step by step guide. Some times it is hard to get the 2nd hand glass slats as it comes from destroyed buildings/sheds and alike. But if you wanted to make a specific size tank for a specific location I guess it wouldn't be too costly to see a glazier to get some glass panels cut to size. (which would reduce the amount of mess when it comes to DIY glass cutting which can be VERY messy and can cause a few minor injuries, nothing a band-aid can't fix :) )