Finding peat

Callatya

Peat and coir bricks are usually Coco peat, which is coconunt fibre and it is very salty, since to get the fibre, they soak coconuts for up to a year in salty water. At work i have pure peat, without any additives. let me know if you want some abbey.

Most killifish keepers just use nursery peat. When using it as a substrate that you then scoop up and dry for 6 months you tend to go through a bit of the stuff. I recently bought a bag of Attunga "Imported Peat Moss" from Mitre 10 which seems pretty good. Not too fine, not too coarse. After boiling it sank nicely. My S. whitei are playing quite happily in it :) I havn't heard of any issues with additives in peat moss (unlike other compost/potting mix/soil etc). Dean

Oops :lol: I missed this one. I use the peat moss that comes in a white 1kg bag from hardware and/or nurseries can't remember the brand of the top of my head. It is not expensive at all. Over the years I've found different batches have different consistencies. Some bags have very fine peat others a bit coarser (sp?), but most bags are mixture of both. Boiling is good, but I've also let some float in a bucket of water for a month of more before using with no ill effects on fish. Have had SA annuals (like Dean's whitei) and African Notho's breed in it no problems. I've even posted killi eggs to Turkey in the peat with great hatch rate.

It should. I'm starting some trials in a couple of my tanks to find out how much it does with my soft melbourne water. I am assuming it will depend greatly on the KH of the water. Water with high KH has such buffering capacity I think you would be pushing the proverbial up hill. Dean

Archived