Why You Should Be Careful Piling Up Little Tanks

killimike

I was feeding my falx fry the other night, so I popped the open MW culture, put it on the desk next to a tower of three of those perspex tanks with the coloured lids that are housing some of my killi fry. The bottom two are about 10l, and the top one is 1l. Already you can see where this is going...

The falx are behind this tower, so I reach over, put MW into their tank, then knock off the 1l tank as I pull my arm back. 15 constanciae fry, riccia and peat along with 1l of water fountain down . . . straight into the open mw culture. So a pretty little cascade of fermented oats, peat, riccia and little fish splash across everything. Not done yet. My bbs coke bottle hatchery is on the desk too, I was gonna take it down stairs when I was done feeding the babies and clean it out. The falling tank knocks the hatchery over too, and a litre of salt and bs eggs mingles with the oats and peat and riccia...

Unbelievable that all these things come together at the one time, I have had a similar setup for weeks, and at other times in the past, and nothing has gone wrong, but as is obvious, a 'busy' area has huge -potential- for catastrophe. As does my clumsiness...

I saved most of the constanciae, so that's what most important, and the mw are doing well too :)

It must be something to do with the phase of the moon, I reckon. I tipped over a bbs hatchery that was on top of my 4' just the other night. It went straight down my shirt!!!!! Can you believe it?? No microworms were harmed in the making of my episode, though.

I want a photo of Mike's crime scene! (no, there are no photos of my own crime scene).

Oh no, bbs down the shirt! You can feel them wriggle, can't you? I am perfectly willing to blame the phase of the moon myself...

That is also the reason that my camera didn't work when I tried to take a photo of constanciae fry swimming on the surface of what was seconds ago a mw culture.

For all the terrible terrible words I know, all I could say was 'Oh no!' It lacks a certain force...

Edited by killimike

I think we all have a MW disaster story. I have LARGE cultures - several were well past use by - so took outside to hose....stagger, slip, glug, gag....

I undressed on the lawn and left my stinking shirt and jeans where they lay. Stalked back inside in my undies and showered!

Good to hear your fry are ok.

Cheers, J

• 2 weeks later...