Bloodworms ... How Often To Feed?

camooweal

G'day All,

I bought a male SFF at the pet shop in town on March 5 and he still hadn't eaten a thing by the 9th. The pet shop told me he'd eat when he was hungry and I've read they'll go a month without eating. But nobody has said what happens after that month...?!

I'd tried him with frozen (thawed) brine shrimp, beef heart, bloodworm, daphnia, Community Dinner and freeze-dried shrimp. I even got out the commercial pellets. He refused everything. So I went out and rounded up some wrigglers and he went to town on them! I've been catching wrigglers and a few bloodworms daily since. Each day I drop in a little 'whatever' the others are getting, but he won't look at anything other than live food.

As the warmer weather is coming to an end and I won't be able to catch wrigglers too much longer (and bloodworms?), I'm wondering if I buy live bloodworms for him, how long can he eat these for? How many days, weeks?

Any suggestions on other live food?

Thanks,

Nancy

near Yass NSW

G'day All,

I bought a male SFF at the pet shop in town on March 5 and he still hadn't eaten a thing by the 9th. The pet shop told me he'd eat when he was hungry and I've read they'll go a month without eating. But nobody has said what happens after that month...?!

I'd tried him with frozen (thawed) brine shrimp, beef heart, bloodworm, daphnia, Community Dinner and freeze-dried shrimp. I even got out the commercial pellets. He refused everything. So I went out and rounded up some wrigglers and he went to town on them! I've been catching wrigglers and a few bloodworms daily since. Each day I drop in a little 'whatever' the others are getting, but he won't look at anything other than live food.

As the warmer weather is coming to an end and I won't be able to catch wrigglers too much longer (and bloodworms?), I'm wondering if I buy live bloodworms for him, how long can he eat these for? How many days, weeks?

Any suggestions on other live food?

Thanks,

Nancy

near Yass NSW

Gerday

I find my fish all go bonkers over wrigglers. There love 'em. But as you say the warmer weather is coming to an end and the mozzies don't breed.

Why not try buying frozen bloodworms? Or better still catch a supply of wrigglers and freeze them. Never tried it but I might have a go because all my tropical fish (guppies, angel fish, neons, goramis, silver sharks, and mollies) think they are great.

The catfish are not too keen on them though.

I wish you luck.

Bob.

Edited by Herby dad

if you only have a few bettas, a small packet of 10ml blackworm (not bloodworm) will last for sometime, a good a week, put in fridge or colder place they'll live pretty happily, not sure if anyone sells live bloodworm though. if you're extra lazy, you can just leave the blackworms in the tank, he usually won't eat more than what he can chew...

I've done the freezing thing before with blackworms and the ice crystals seemed to completely destroy the skin integrity and there was a sad little worm skin casing and a lot of bloody water when they were defrosted. The fish were not interested at all.

If you are going to freeze them youself, do it as fast as possible. Maybe try a thin layer in a plastic bag on top of a pre-frozen metal tray? I wouldn't bother trying to freeze them in water in cubes though, waste of time IME.

if you only have a few bettas, a small packet of 10ml blackworm (not bloodworm) will last for sometime, a good a week, put in fridge or colder place they'll live pretty happily, not sure if anyone sells live bloodworm though. if you're extra lazy, you can just leave the blackworms in the tank, he usually won't eat more than what he can chew...

Thank you Bob, 'waterchange' and Callatya for your thoughts.

The good news is that after sending me out to hunt for 18 days straight, Turq (short for his colour, turquoise) finally ate some frozen bloodworm - along with that day's catch of course!

I did get a packet of blackworms (which I kept in the fridge) before I got Turq and had been wondering if I could put more than he could handle in the tank with him, so he could snack whenever he felt like it. Good to see they'll last some time keeping them in his tank. He's a great little hunter and I like to watch him stalking, chasing or nudging something with his nose if he thinks it's playing possum.

Nancy

near Yass NSW

just keep an eye on them, blackworms can die incredibly quickly in water that's too warm for them, and the last thing you want is a rank stinky mess of dead blackworms in the tank. I have brought worms from the fridge into the fishroom and forgotten to put the cup the leftovers back in the fridge, and came back a few hours later to slimy worm stew. Hopefully that won't happen in a tank that is filtered/cycled, but just do keep an eye on them.

just keep an eye on them, blackworms can die incredibly quickly in water that's too warm for them, and the last thing you want is a rank stinky mess of dead blackworms in the tank. I have brought worms from the fridge into the fishroom and forgotten to put the cup the leftovers back in the fridge, and came back a few hours later to slimy worm stew. Hopefully that won't happen in a tank that is filtered/cycled, but just do keep an eye on them.

Thanks, Lilli! A stinky mess of dead blackworms is something I can certainly do without !!! :)

Nancy

near Yass NSW

I usually feed my guys some froozen bloodworms twice weekly just to keep them regular, then once a week some brine shrimp with the new life pellets, freeze dried blackworms for snacking every now and again. I try and vary their diet to keep them happy and also to prevent constipation.