Need A Fish Id

Chasing Sanity

I found some stunning male gups at the LPS that I generally refuse to buy fish at. But these are some special fish!

DSCF2395.jpg

Sorry for the blur, my good camera is having an overseas holiday!

What are these gups? They have some red and a lot of blue. The tail has clear fins in between the split.

Edited by Chasing Sanity

Whatever they are, they're very nice! Not something you see every day. Some kind of lyretail? I'm not sure of all the fine distinctions in tail shape, but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Were you able to get any females?

Pretty sure lyretails and double swords are different. Lyretails look like a long tail that has a shorter middle (like the picture here), where a double sword has pointed ends.

I am thinking scissor tails are the same as lyre tails, but I may be wrong (scissorsmight be double swords instead? seems to make more sense).

The smaller bodied one of the two may not make the night, He's very quiet and sitting either on the bottom or right at the water top, breathing heavily. The other is quite happy. Luckily I put them into my hospital tank. If the small boy doesn't make it I might go back and buy the last one that was there. I should have bought all three today!

He made it through the night! I fiddled with my spray bar so that's breaking the surface more and making more bubbles and he's a ton happier today. I went back and bought the remaining boy anyway. They didn't seem to have any girls with the same colouring so I'm not sure if there's matching girls, but my preferred LFS is going to ask their supplier today for me.

I also accidentally bought a Crowntail fighter, he's got beautiful defined fins and tail and a black mask.

That's the problem with lps...people who sells to them normally only sell the males.

They tend not to sell the females just in case someone goes breeding them and spoiling their market.

After all, guppies breed fast, and it's hard to get a nice pure strain unless you import them.

Accidently bought a crowntail??? :betta:

I'd been planning on buying a 2nd betta, a HM, but Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was just too nice to pass up. Curse my camera being on holiday! I've got a plain silver girl who is one of my first fry born that I'm planning on giving the boys, so hopefully in a few generations I'll see some tails.

This is the best pic I can get of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, He changes colour depending on his mood and the lighting! I had him in direct sunlight and he was brown, but he's usually a nice iridescent blue/green with a little red when he's pissed off.

DSCF2406.jpg

That red only shows when he's flaring.

• 2 weeks later...

000wtxbc.jpg

000ww8cp.jpg

Some guys I have in my growout currently. The ends of the swords are clublike rather than pointy! But seeing as several genes are involved in the formation of swords, it's possibly just an issue of weird gene mixing or incomplete dominance.

The clear rays between the coloured parts are normal on less-than-perfect doubleswords. Ideally these rays would be missing entirely.

The main difference between a double sword and a lyretail is that double swords have straight 'swords' whereas lyretails' swords curve up and down at the top and botton. If they are straight like a V then it's a doublesword.

He changes colour depending on his mood and the lighting! I had him in direct sunlight and he was brown, but he's usually a nice iridescent blue/green

Sounds copper to me ;)

Although he does look blue in the photo :drool: