Lfs Boys

fishbites

Just wanting some confirmation on colours / patterns on these fish I picked up from the LFS over the last few weeks...

Is this one a piebald with a blue body? He has white tips to the fins (butterfly?). Quite a lively lad - throws himself at his own reflection and anything else that comes near the glass.

IMGP2253.JPG

Not sure what you call this one's colour pattern - the colours are terrible in this pic. Is he a piebald given the pale face. With the white edges on the fins is that butterfly pattern? What would you call the body colour - looks a reddish brown to me.

IMGP2255.JPG

And the girls....

Is this green or turquoise or ? The red colour is this what's referred to as red wash on fish?

IMGP2261.JPG

What colour blue would you call her? Also - the black dots on the dorsal fin - I've seen them on a lot of black bettas - is this significant in any way?

IMGP2264.JPG

Do you think either of these would go well with either of the boys above or not?

The first 2 are multis, 3rd is turq with red wash (that is quite a lot of red for wash as it seems to go up the caudal rays), the last looks like royal blue.

What they are and what you describe the phenotype as are not always the same :lol: I mean, the boys are both likely to be marble, cambodian, butterfly, and a handful of other things, but multi with butterfly would be more accurate for a physical description IMO ;)

The two CT boys look like they do show butterfly.

Thanks bewarebrunette I never thought of mustard gas but I can see a slight yellowing in the fins - too much of a stretch to say it's mustard gas though given its a lfs fish but could be interesting to see what becomes of its fry if I find a nice male to go with her.

Callatya - The boys do seem to show butterfly (pics don't show it clearly) but the half blue boy was interesting and the colour is a lot lighter than the royal blues I've seen so took him anyway. What do you think would be a good match for the royal blue female?

Can anyone explain the dots on the fins of the fish - is it a sign of anything in their breeding at all or just a random occurance with Bettas?

Do you mean the black dots in the female's dorsal (I would call her black lace btw)? They're melanophores IMO.

Personally I wouldn't cross CT with VT if I had access to a CT female. It takes as much time and effort (and money) to breed a nice CT line as a it does to cross tail types.