Sign in to follow this  
ninoid12

Butterfly 10wk Old....

father- Lavander Butterfly (some call the colour salamander???) HM from Coburg Aquarium VIC

mother- red platinum HM from banleang

Aprox 10wks old in this photo.

Will take more photos, not fully flaring but ideas of his form and what to look for in a potential gf for him appreciated.

nina

honkytonk.jpg

Hi Nina

Great caudal, great pattern. My only issue is with the anal fin, which spills out of the 'circle' that the betta's fins wil eventually make. This has had repurcussions for the pattern in the anal fin, as it follows the line of the fin outside the circle. I'd be careful not to select a female with an untidy anal fin (so many females with a great caudal have a unwieldy long anal fin, it's tough to track down one who doesn't).

I'd also, ideally (now I am getting fussy) like to see the dorsal angled further forward, rather than sweeping back as it appears to, although it may look different if he is flaring. I'd look for a female with this characteristic in the dorsal.

His anal fin does look very long compared to dorsal and caudal. I'm hopeful that it's just temporary and the 3 fins will catch up. Will be interested to see what he looks like in a few weeks. The pattern on dorsal and caudal look very nicely matched. However I'm doubtful that the pattern on the anal fin could fix itself in time. It looks like it's there to stay.

If you had a choice I would look for a female that has a good butterfly pattern and as Lilli already said, look for an anal fin that is a good rectangular shape. Not too pointy at the back end.

Ideally, if you had the space (and time) it would be good to spawn several siblings in that spawn and maybe even one back to the father if you can manage it. It would give you a lot more fish to choose from in the hope of finding ones that had a good colour as well as finnage.

Oh Nina, I think he's lovely. Was that the tank next to your kitchen door? Might have to come back around & have another look... lol

Would this sibling female be any good? Can you please tell me about her faults/good points too?

Thankyou!

hmf.jpg

Edited by ninoid12

Wow, she looks great! I like her body shape, and her pattern looks good.

The only obvious improvements to be made are to increase spread to 180*, and broaden the dorsal.

Sign in to follow this