Male Or Female?

Lyarlla

Hi guys and girls,

Just wondering if you could help me figure out if my fish is male or female! Months ago I rescued a turquoise betta from a LFS's communal female betta tank. I'd kinda taken pity on it because it was being beaten up, had shredded fins and missing scales and looked half dead. It has a short tail and always shows a white tube making me think it was an ovipositor and therefore believing the fish was female. Since then it has spent time quite happily housed with my other female bettas (Ive never seen it flare at them once), though it is currently living in its own tank. It has now well recovered from the LFS, with a surprising full tail span just shy of 180 degrees and still growing, though still short like a female, though the blue ones are perhaps a tiny bit longer than my other girls' fins. Yesterday while doing water changes I placed the tank momentarily next to one and my boy's and he immediately flared up. I was surprised when my little blue fish began flaring back aggressively with a full flare around its face and stretching its fins out as far as it could. Arent only males meant to have such a full flare all around the face? My other girls never flare so fully. I have also never seen this fish develop vertical bars (unlike my other females). Could the white tube just be its anus? I know sometimes that happens with over feeding, but this fish seems to permanently display it even on fasting day! As for building of bubble nests, all my fish including the girls, make bubble nests.

Can anyone help me figure out if its female or a male plakat?

Okay, so Im tending to think its a girl but only based on how it flares straight on rather than to the side. Its rather fancy (and angry!) for a female with double caudal branching and fairly long fins for a girl, possibly why Im confused! Ta!

It seems really interested but doesnt flare at it - just starts swimming a lot faster. All my other males and females all confronted the mirror and flare at it though! Oh it seems to have blown bubbles all around the sides of the tank, but Ive seen my other females do this on occasion.