Bren

Bren MacFish

Oh no, who let me in? It's okay, I think I'm all out of stupid questions and I promise to be on my best behaviour... at least for a week or two. My real name is Bren... (I decided to use it here for a change), and I live in Oakleigh in Melbourne, and make a living writing and teaching... or at least, I make enough to keep me in fish. I have four male crowntails, five females, four very large goldfish and 6.2 goldfish fry. It only sounds like a statistic. I don't know what went wrong with little .2. He recovered fully from a bout of SBD and hasn't grown since. That was four months ago. I'm running two betta tanks. One divided four ways and one divided six ways (my girls are all alpha females and none of them have the sense to back down so I keep them apart). I also run a pond and a goldfish tank. Altho I want the fry to go out to the pond once the weather warms up. I'm going to start breeding the crowntails, which are mostly red butterflies, now that someone has found me some nice females. So I expect to have some interesting red marbles and red butterfly CTs soon. But it's all new for me so anything could happen. The way I breed goldfish is just wait for the dog to bring me a bit of weed out of the pond with eggs stuck to it. Silly dog. But nice fry. I have a very nice shibunkin and half the fry are like her.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bren, Good to see you here. Behaviour is all relevant to who and how someone is affected and how they perceive you after the event. From what I've seen elsewhere you'll do just fine :fish: I look forward to hearing more from you. Was it you and Vicki talking about punctuation elsewhere? If so then you will continue to confuse the hell out of me but I'll enjoy every moment :drool: Pat.

Hi Lambo! Yes, Najrick, I am the grammarly anal retentive one. And I think it's time for counselling... it's starting to spill over into other areas. I work with very cool musicians and sound technicians sometimes, and one of them caught me adjusting a green screen just a couple of millimetres on Friday during an animation and told me that I might be anal. And here I was thinking it was so well hidden! Why can't I be cool too? :drool:

Oh no... he's into all water sports and African water cabbages that leap up and down (due to large sexy goldfish underneath) are great things to chase and pull out of ponds. They don't put up much of a fight on dry land tho and have to be ditched. He refuses to actually see the goldfish for some bizarre reason. Hang out with musos? Well that would be cool but nah, I just get all the fun muso support and student supervision jobs. It's a very cool environment tho... and one day some of it might rub off.

Oh, it's pretty hard to replicate. Waterchange, add African water cabbages, ignore, yell at the dog for pulling cabbages out of pond five or six times, go outside to pick cabbages up off hot paving, discover eggs attached to roots, hatch goldfish in punchbowl. I'm glad there's lots of Melbournians here. Everything seems to be going on up in Qld. Lilli, Austin Powers is way too cool for me. :lol:

Hey there Bren :lol: Glad you made it! I was about to send out a hunting party :lol: A puntuation officer hey? you will have to forgive me my ...s, they have become quite a habit :( Ohhh, I should scan you the advertisement I got for a local pet shop! you'd just love it. Its for PET'S... and yes, that is what they have on their signage! *holds head* You can also buy "scorpian's Plus Lot's Lot's more" Your method of breeding goldies sound er... interesting :lol: How are you going with raising? I have heard that is quite difficult.

With my driving? Nah, thanks to your lovely care at stopover points, they arrived happy as toddlers in a sandpit. Two females are full of eggs and the boys have just been buzzing around flaring continuously. They're starting to look a bit worn out actually, silly things. It took me a while to figure out this mb was still going. I put "Oz"aqua in the google and then there was an error message on it for ages. Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome. Callatya, I like ellipses too. Publishers hate them tho (<- I also drop my o/ugh sometimes). Yep, the goldfish fry went thru a long period of being extremely fickle. Obviously the eggs were nearly invincible but once they hatched it was a whole different story. They were a late Feb surprise and they're slow growers and start off incredibly small. They become especially slow growers if the temperature drops off, and there's a naturally high mortality rate anyway. And liquid food is so messy and hard on a cycle. But now they're all about 4cms long they seem to have acquired some invincibility. Plus, I've learned a lot about fry raising. Their parents were a mixture of types and so now I have some nymphs (fat bodied single tails) in amongst the shibunkins and comets. This screams of a lack of controlled breeding to goldfish fanciers. Also, they don't use the dog retrieval method.

LOL.. don't worry about the controlled breeding. We're just waiting on dad's ornamental goldfishes to breed. The last time they did, we had lionheads x orandas.. and we had some sort of hybrid that looked like a cat had taken bites out of it. Also, we had some black ones come from two orange parents who've decided that they wanted to fit in and turned orange now! :(:( Will be interesting this next lot..

Orange takes forever to kick in. All the metallics stay some sort of khaki brown until they're big. That's why shibunkin fry are so much nicer. A percentage of fry never lose the brown and become a lovely bronze colour instead. Breeders used to cull these but I've noticed big ones are sold off at Waterworld as pondfish. You can get the most elaborate types there, double tails, moors... all as $4 pond fish. Just because they're bronze. They look good enmasse under lights. Lionheads and orandas have to be the friendliest goldfish out there. It's a good choice. I love to watch pearlscales. It's like watching a golfball try to swim. So bizarre. Maybe you have no boys, Robbie's Betta? Maybe the girls were just practising. The fertilised eggs are clear and sort of pinkish like caviar. The unfertilised eggs go milky.

Archived