Jars And Travel Tanks

fishbites

I went shopping today at a local $2 store and got some interesting things...

Carry tanks for bettas - they should work well for transporting bettas for short trips and will be easier than putting them in a bag. They had 3 different styles - 16cm L x 10cm H x 10cm D (1.5 litres) - colours were green, red, blue, yellow. All styles had clear lids in the top for easy feeding and plenty of ventilation around the sides. Best part was that they were only $2

There were also 6 litre sizes but only in the style of the yellow one below - they were around $15 each - would this larger size be a reasonable permanent home for single male bettas?

IMGP2221.JPGIMGP2222.JPGIMGP2224.JPG

Square jars - 11cm x 11cm x 19cm H (2.3 litres) These were only $3.50. The lids are green, red, blue, orange but they seal so I think a few drilled holes would be good or maybe cut out the centre of the lid and replace with screen gauze. These should be ok for jarring young males shouldn't they?

IMGP2225.JPG

The boys like the jars Lilli - a few are happily blowing bubble nests in their new jars at the moment...

The drip system idea with those 'basket' type tanks sounds interesting Bettarazzi - I'll see if I can find the thread - sounds interesting....

Jo thanks for the warning on the blue ones - will be careful with them - I didn't think of them for the females but I do have a couple of agro ladies that need a "naughty tank" to settle them down sometimes...

I tried transporting in the little geotanks before, it is a great way to get wet :D For that, soft drink bottles are safer ;) Still, I do like those for showing off individuals, as isolation tanks (they float OK in unfiltered setups due to air trapped under the rim) and so on. Heaps of uses!

I searched and found a few drip systems on here - including one that looked like it used square jars like the ones I mentioned above.

I'd never have thought to search for kritter keepers though!

It looks like an interesting setup - instead of a rack like that though I was thinking maybe a cheap galvanised shelf system (only about $25 at hardware shops) and attach the piping to it and use trays on the shelves for the overflows.

Thanks for the link Bettarazzi - I'll have to think about this one - my latest spawn seems to have well over 90 fry at the moment (lost count after that) so might have to do something about building a holding rack for the boys.