Ideal Betta Tanks

zaphod 373

Hi don't know if anyone will find this useful but Go-lo has nice triangular glass tanks about 4-5 litres for $12.99. You can fit 2 together which makes a square and then build a rectangle as long as you like.

I have four together and plan to get more not ultra cheap but more respectable looking than giant jars for those of us who have to keep our bettas in our living rooms. Unfortunatly they don't come with lids but I just put a sheet of glass on the whole group.

Another thing I have done is buy cheap corner filter [2$ cheap as chips]pull out the inner base plate attach the riser and air stone then bury it under gravel in the corner of these tanks like a mini under gravel filter I run them all with a little air pump easily and it really helps space out the water changes my boys have grown stacks in these tanks.

Oh I heat them with a loop of reptile heating cord in each one. At the moment I'm turning it on and off when required but I plan on getting a thermostat soon. If its not heating enough in winter you just pull a bigger loop in.

Also wanted to mention I bought a tiny 25 watt heater on ebay only about 15cm long and 1.5cm thick its a bit cheaply made but its been great for 3 baby girls I have in a little 6 litre hexagonal tank to small for a normal heater. Hope some of this is helpful to people like me with just a few bettas.

Edited by zaphod

Another heads up for people trying to keep things respectable in your living areas, these triangle tanks fit perfectly inside the corner of the 1 foot bow front aqua one tanks I think its the 320 model[On special in adelaide at a few places $79-$85], just leave a little swimming space behind so your fish don't get stuck.

This looks really nice for a special boy and his mate or small harem. The tanks come with a built in light and undergravel filter although i think its too strong for bettas so I use something else. Just pop a small heater in the main section and they look great.

Oh yeah my other 2 boys are in 4 litre jars from the reject shop $5 with glass lids and very sturdy. Man I love those junk stores don't I?

Mmm how about silk plants $2 cheap as chips.

Edited by zaphod

Hi just checked on google and there are 14 stores in Melbourne and Geelong but the company is struggling so some may have closed check the phone book and call first so you don't waste a trip.

I am totally useless on a computer but next time my sons here I will get him to show me how to add links and also photos.

I am not sure about the thermostat they are around$100 in the lfs I thought I might try a heater on ebay I saw for around $30 which comes with a seperate thermostat [outside the tank]and temp probe [for inside] and a heater which you plug into it. Then I will just plug in the reptile cord instead of the aquarium heater, what do you think?

Edited by zaphod

I think I might have seen that heater that you're talking about and I thought of doing the same thing that you're thinking of. But it looked like the heater has a 2 prong plug and all my heating cords are 3 pronged. I had a very brief look for a 2 prong adaptor and also considered changing the plug. But I haven't got any further on that. Will be very interested in hearing how you go with this. It's a much cheaper option than buying the thermostats that are specifically made for these heating cords. The cheapest price I've seen them is $80.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I just got one of these heater/thermostats of ebay and so far so good. I bought an adapter plug but in the end just jammed the au plug in and it works fine might tape it for safety sake. Temperature control doesn't seem entirely accurate as the probe reads a different temp to the thermometer I was using but it does turn the cord on and off fine so I just need to gauge what temp to set it at to attain the temp I need. You need to keep in mind that you only have one probe so if your heating lots of containers they will need to be the same size with the same amount of heater cable in or under them or you would get a lot of temperature variation. You can play around a bit with the amount of heater cord to compensate for size differences I am using it to heat four 5 litre tanks and a frog set up I just coiled more cable in the frog tank. Hope this helps.

Edited by zaphod