"edited By" Footnote...

Ghengis

Something that really annoys me, is that little "This post edited by:..." footnote that always pops up.

Aside from times when a mod needs to go over a thread and delete unnecessary quotes, typo's, or language etc., I really see no point to it.

Before I hit the "Post Reply" button, I usually proof read what I've written, but sometimes I might be in a hurry, or half cut, or half asleep etc, and miss a spelling error. As soon as the post is lodged, I look at it and think "What a silly bunt, there's a spelling error that I've missed..." and go back to fix it. Is it really necessary for everyone to know that I have performed that edit? Especially if it's in the exact same minute of the original post?? I could understand better if there was some sort of time limit on editing...say an hour or two, after which time the footnote is added, but really...

Also, on other IPB hosted Forums that I frequent, one is able to check a box and elect for the footnote to be added...or leave said box unchecked to have the footnote left out. Could this be an option?

*...see what I mean??*

Edited by Ghengis

I consider the 'edited by' line to be a courteous footnote added to the post for the benefit of the person who originally wrote the post that was edited - our other option is to privately PM the poster which we don't always have time for and isn't really warranted in most cases IME. It's not for the benefit of other posters and I'm genuinely sorry if it annoys, but my only suggestion is 'don't look' :rofl:

I think Ghengis is referring to self edited posts, rather than moderator edited ones. I'm not even ever 'half cut' and most of my posts require adjusting later. Unless you point a mistake out to us tho, most of the time I assume you have just added some information you forgot in the first place. So don't worry Ghengis, we don't think less of you if it says you edited it!

It isn't irrelevant for moderation purposes. I get what you are saying, and yeah it can be annoying if all you've forgotten is a full stop or something, but it was set up like that for a reason.

There have been times where someone has posted a poorly worded or inflammatory post to start a thread and, after getting a bunch of less than flattering responses, has gone back and edited the original. If we can't tell that original post has been edited, it makes the string of responses that follow seem very over the top. That helps us get to the actual problem rather than getting stuck in the confusion over why a bunch of members have reacted in that way.

It is also helpful for us forgetful folk who respond to a post as it is written and read back on it later only to find some key bit of info has been changed that makes the response very unhelpful. It stops us thinking we are going crazy and reading things incorrectly or seeing stuff that isn't there.

I get that it seems irrelevant, but it does have it's purpose even if it is not immediately obvious. :rofl:

(There is the option for admin to leave the section blank if they are fixing a broken emote or a link or some small technical issue, but generally if one of us goes to the trouble of making an edit we like to explain why so people don't get upset that their post has been changed for no reason)

It isn't irrelevant for moderation purposes.

Agreed, and I did mention that in the OP. For moderation, it's perfectly relevant...

What kind of pillock would bother posting something defamatory/inflammatory/abusive/crude, or vulgar and then go back and hide behind editing the OP??? People that do that oughtta be banned without question!

If someone has something to say, then stand up, say it and stand by it...

and yeah it can be annoying if all you've forgotten is a full stop or something

Which was also why I wonderd if there could be a window of opportunity for such forms of editing. Say two hours.

BTW, I should say that you mods do do a great job with this Forum, so I apologise if it seems I'm just being picky. I should just HTFU, but it's the little details that make places like this a pleasure or a pain...

Gaaaaaaah! There it is again!!!!!

Edited by Ghengis

dude, seriously - use Preview Post! it gives you the window of opportunity to edit if you want it. Available in Fast Reply if you click More Options. I had to use it twice before posting this :rofl: cos of typos.

:blush:

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion, but all things considered, the function has to stay.

And we generally wouldn't ban people who have second thoughts about posting something. I certainly go back and revise some of my own posts from time to time, cos I am at work when I post and get it out in a hurry and cause unintentional offence or seem surly or abrupt (or sometimes I am intentionally surly or abrupt and have a change of heart :) ). I dun wanna get banned cos I make my post nicer! I am sure nobody does.

We rarely if ever get garbage/troll posts any more but if we do, it's important to have the 'edited by' feature. And we have banned such offenders, trust me! But good and decent members who responded to the original tripe don't deserve to end up looking like morons because of someone's edit, even if it is just til one of us comes online and deletes the entire nonsense (or even some parts of it).

:blush: