Rock For Tanks

jo oakley

I live at the foot of Mt Noorat, it was a Volcano

We have volcanic rocks called floaters that come up to the surface all the time.

I have run out of things to do with them in the Garden

LFS sell rock that look very much like the ones around here

Can I use them and how should I clean them?

Edited by jo oakley

Just give them a really good scrub with a nail brush or similar,i would soak them for awhile change the water every few days just in case there is anything nasty lurking on the rocks

And if you have a high pressure cleaner all the better :lol:

Just to be sure it is ok after cleaning pour some vinegar onto the rock, if it bubbles or foams the rock should NOT be put in your tank. Only inert objects, wood, rocks whatever can go in fish tanks. If it bubbles it is NOT inert and could therefore cause a chemical reaction in your tank and change parameters. Handy little trick I learnt along the way! HIH Kath

Yes vinegar is a worthwhile way before all the cleaning to make sure it will be ok in the tank. Boiling does not change the makeup of the rock and if the rock is not inert it will still be able to change parameters in the water. Just one rock "looking like" another does not say anything about its makeup, you really need to do the vinegar test first. Kath

I drove to Terang to get the fish & chips.

THE CHIP SHOP WAS SHUT ON TUESDAYS!!!! :rofl::):blush:

I can't believe it I feel like that Guy from One Foot in the Grave whats his name? Victor some one.

any way no fish or chips I could have gone to get something from the Pub,

the only problem with that is I would know one or two of the 1/2 cut people,

Not in the mood.

The LFS shop is another 40 minutes from Terang if I turn right or 90 minutes if I turn left at the Highway

Not today.

Edited by jo oakley

Vinegar is actually quite a mild acid and may not identify an unsuitable rock with absolute certainty. Hydrochloric acid or similar would be a better test. Although if it was me I'd just chuck it in the tank and hope for the best. :)

Edited by Bettarazzi