Signatures ?

Well to make an image you need to either design and create one yourself using a program like photoshop, or GIMP 2 which is the same but free; or find an image that you have permission to use; or commission someone to make one for you.

There are website templates already available online, or you can make your own site from scratch using HTML and CSS code, or again, commission someone to make one for you with your design.

Then find a hosting and domain provider for your website.

All the terms above are easily googled. URL means the link address of images, web pages and other files online.

To make a signature like mine, upload the image, and use the following code, but replace my text and URLs with yours, and remove the spaces in the [] bits:

[ url="http://superbbettas.com"][ img][ /img][ /url]

I designed and created my banner myself, and coded my website from scratch with no prior HTML and CSS experience. There is heaps of info online.

Hope that helps.

Your signature doesn't have to be a link to a website it could just be a picture or even just text. It could even be a combination of a small picture and text. Stefan has already gone over the programs you could use to create the image. After you've created your image you go to My Controls (top right of the page) and on the left you'll see something that says Edit Signature. You'll get a box very much like a Reply box and you can add images and text just like a normal post, only it will now appear at the bottom of all your posts. There are size restrictions of course. Basically you don't want people to have to scroll through all your text and images to get past your signature.

Paint.NET is a free program available for Windows XP, Vista and Server systems. It does require the .NET Framework to operate, however many computers will already have this installed. If you don't, a dialogue box will appear during the installation of Paint.NET that will take you through to the Microsoft website so that you can download it.

Paint.NET is available via internet download from here. In order to edit the type of files created by Photoshop (.psd), you will also need to add this .dll file to the "file types" folder of the Paint.NET program files. Easy! Now you have a free easy-to-use program for editing Photoshop (.psd) files!

While there are other photo editing programs available, such as The GIMP, these programs can be quite complex and unwieldy for the average user. The GIMP was written for the Linux operating systems and, while there is a Windows version available, the user interface can be confusing even for the skilled computer user. GIMPshop is a hack for the Windows version of The GIMP that was designed to overcome part of this problem and make the interface feel less foreign to Windows users, however this project has not been updated in some time and can cause program instability. Given these things, I feel that even with the fiddling around with the .NET Framework and .dll file required, Paint.NET is a more suitable choice for almost all Windows users.

^^ part of an assignment from last year :) but it is fitting. I knew it would be handy! Paint.NET is awesome stuff and would be ideal for making signatures. It is also great for watermarking images as it can deal with layers, so you can have what is essentially the digital equivalent to a clear overhead sheet with your name or logo on it, and just plonk it over the top of your photos instead of having to retype it every time :)

Stefan and Razzi have most everything covered, but if you have any hassles just let us know :)

(If anyone is using it, how does GIMP 2.x handle in Windows? Have they sorted out a container or docking for the windows yet?)

GIMP is fine if you have had some experience with Photoshop.

The tool windows however float outside the program screen instead of being contained within as in Photoshop. So the program window can be moved without the tool windows following etc.

But as a free replacement for PS, it's rather good and works fine on Windows XP.

I also downloaded Gimp 2 and had some fun with it for a couple of hrs.Like you jo oakley it will take some time for me to put something worthwhile together it is fun none the less Though i have not had any experience with photo shop or anything i found it ok.Lol the things you find out on a fish forum....

OMG!! I was wishing for an online editor just the other day. Working in a very locked down IT environment at the moment and needed to edit a picture. Ended up having to use Paint which produced a truly woeful result.

What did you use for your new sig Abbey? It's classy. I like it.

I don't usually have a sig, but well, you kind of inspired me. I was starting to feel all nekkid!

I did this one in Photoshop CS3. I've set myself a strange goal of one new banner sig for my email per week in order to learn more about the program, because I don't think I use nearly enough of the tools it has available. The restrictions are that I have to use a photo that is already on my hard drive and the entire thing has to be done in 20 minutes. It is proving quite interesting so far!

This one is a black background with a semi-transparent layer of fish scales (from my old female, Blue) a black-to-transparent gradient over the top, and then some font that I can't remember the name of with inner glow affect.

I rather like the song too :) I'm a sucker for kids songs, especially with actions ;)