Fry Questions...

Peta

Okay.....

Will male fry show the horizontal 'breeding' stripes... or if you see a fry displaying this in the fry tank then it's a good chance that it’s a girlie fish?? (I have this in both fry - one fish is showing 'girly' stripes - only thing is in Kissingers Spawn the stripy one is also telling everyone off and chasing them (naughty fish))

which leads me to the next question, should you jar as soon as you see aggressiveness being shown in the fry?

Edited by Peta(&Eric)

I think when they are still little, both can show the vertical striping, but I'm not 100% sure. How old are they now? Are you sure the aggressive one is a male, I have sometimes jarred my boys as early as 5-6 weeks when I'm 100% sure they are boys.

Btw, what are you going to do with all those babies LOL. I'd love to come over and see them, I'd be interested in a couple.

LOL Yeap you'll have to :) I think I even saw one developing a BF pattern this morning. My biggest two - Green one and Copper one are currently being a little fiesty - the copper one is stripped up though so got me wondering and I have seen a blue stripy one in the other tank as well - but that ones well behaved. *srug* guess the next fun part is just starting haha

They are reaching 7weeks now (OMG!)

hehe - don't worry haven't forgotten you :) was going to wait until they where all growing their fins more and had some definate boys and girls to show off :) hehe.

Do you mean vertical or horizontal stripes Peta? The females display vertical stripes when breeding. All bettas will show horizontal stripes if stressed or intimidated (except opaque/gold etc, where you can't see stripes).

Do jar as soon as you see aggressiveness, ie jar the aggressive ones, or you'll end up with fry who've been nipped and whose fins may not ever grow back properly.

The Vertices :D Have two fry (one in each tank) that I've seen vertical stripes on.

I'm going to have to find out who the ratbag is in the copper spawn as there is one fish with a nibbled fin (DOH!) ....although odd that s/he's the only one...

I was hopeing to have another few weeks (a month haha) till I had to worry about jarring them... DOH!

Edited by Peta(&Eric)