Pacific Blue Eye

Ghengis

HookedFish-PacificBlueEye-168.jpg

What can people tell me of these little critters? I've heard them mentioned around here before, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info getting around about them.

One of the LPS has some, what seem to be juveniles, in stock... Do they all end up looking like the one in the pic above? The one's I've seen are quite plain looking and I thought they may be females, but as I said, they may just be juvies. Are these fish easy to keep? Are they good community fish...passive/aggressive? How big do they get and what would be a minimum tank size?

One of the nicest varieties is found in Harvey's Creek....Cairns....the photo is a Harvey's Creek

Don't look much unless in breeding condition.....then males sparring is spectacular

2ft tank is enough....but bigger tank and bigger school is better...can be a fin nipper

Harvey's creek get to 50mm+

Southern varieties are smaller

Found in fresh water and brackish....so water chemistry is not critical

Edited by Rod

Harvey's?? True? Well, better dig out the ol' gumboots and go for a scout! ;)

Does this make this fish a brackish? That might be an issue. As far as being a nipper goes, that should be easy enogh to get around... How many do you think to a 2ft'er? A couple males and a couple females? And how does one sex them at juvie stage??

Cheers Rod, that's great info!

Better check if you need a permit before you go removing native fauna from their natural habitat. Wouldn't want you to get arrested. Actually, I lie. I would find it quite amusing. ;) Make sure you get some good pics. Of the arrest, as well as the excursion. :lol:

Would you like a video of the full body search as well, Razza??

Cheers for the input, guys. I knew I could count on AAQ!! :lol:

No permit needed....but you can't take anymore than 20(I think) at a time....and You can't sell them....you can sell their offspring

Obviously can't take any fish from a National Park ;)

Edited by Rod

Just finished reading thru that link, Rod. There are some wonderful variants of the Pseudomugil genus, aren't there? Very Killifish in appearence.

I think I might have just stumbled on a new obsession...sweet, I could use another obsession, I have so few of them already! ;)

Pacific Blue Eye are one of the most plentiful BE around... if you cant find pacific's up your way Ghengis your got problems hahaha.

Actually your in one of the best locations for keeping natives. You have so many varieties within a few hours drive its not funny!

Do you know Bob Kroll? he owns a pet shop in the main street of Cairns. He actually takes people out or rainbow fish tours and he would be a good help for you if you needed any info. Hes forum name is Northboy... you would have probably seen him on other forums.

Here is my pacific blue eye tank. I caught these fish locally. I hope you get into native fish... Australia has some nice fish. Rainbows in shops look bland because there not in the right conditions.

The link Rod gave you to Adrian's website is like the bible for Rainbows. Adrian is full of knowledge as well and can pretty much answer any questions that you have.

Edit: www.angfa.org.au is also a good website to visit. They have a database on fish collections and you can find out what fish are local to your area and even which creek they were caught in!

Does this make this fish a brackish? How many do you think to a 2ft'er? A couple males and a couple females? And how does one sex them at juvie stage??

They do great in freshwater! As Rod said they can go into brackish water.... heck they have even been found in river mouths in full marine conditions! They are hardy fish!

In a 2fter would depend on which variety you got. If you got the larger ones maybe 10 would be max with the smaller variety maybe 15 max. Its always good to have more females the males however 50/50 is ok as well.

Sexing depends on the variety but in both cases it is very easy.... bit harder depending on how old they are but males will have larger fins with more colour while females will be much duller with smaller fins.

Edited by brettc777

• 2 weeks later...