Baby Bristle Noses

jo oakley

Nice bristlenose babies Jo!

My baby albino BN's are about 1¼ cm long now and seem to be good at hunting down food at last.

I've just got myself 3 albino longfins as well this weekend - only about 4-5cm so far but they'll grow.

My common trio still haven't looked like breeding despite logs and caves for them so might try increasing the current a bit in the tank and see if that does anything.

Do you have a strong water flow?

Do you have any particular temp set for them? I've got mine at room temp at the moment which is in the upper 20's.

Yeah strong water flow and the temp around 28

I would love some long fins

they cost the earth down here.

Lost 2 of the common BN babies today I think it was moving them.

I hope the other will be OK they are eating and making one hell of a mess

Edited by jo oakley

Thanks for that info Jo...

I have a small internal power filter I'll put in the tank and see if that can give them a bit of a whirlpool to liven them up!

Sorry to hear you lost two though - at small sizes they can be a little touchy I've been told.

The long fins are lovely - paid $15 each for them here at about 4cm body length (the tails are almost 3cm long) - and hopefully a few more in a few weeks time and see if I can get a breeding trio out of them eventually. How much are they going for down in Vic?

Hope your other BN's behave themselves and grow out well for you - they do make a mess at times - they make a pig of themselves with blood worms and any flake that sinks to the bottom of the tank as well as algae tablets. They really are little garbage disposal units with fins!

• 1 month later...

G'day Jo,

In your photos it shows albino and the common bristlenose colours - did you get some commons hatch out with the albinos?

I've just had a look at the last batch of albino fry I put in my small tank and there are two dark fry in there and I have no idea how because the common trio I have haven't spawned yet.

Just wondering if you know if the males will allow any females to lay eggs in their cave or if perhaps my albinos aren't pure albinos.

The albinos are from a different spawn to the Common BNs babys.

You can get croup outs in spawns, they are proof that you had some Common BN blood in the line

at sometime, it can be some way back, they did come from them in the beginning.

Thanks for that Jo,

All this fishy breeding is new to me - had fish a long time ago but none ever spawned - not sure what's happening but they all seem to want to spawn for me now!

The first batch of albinos I had were all yellow and I thought the second batch were too till I saw these two. There was a common female in the tank and thats why I wasn't sure but it makes sense now you say it that albinos evolved from the commons originally.

• 3 weeks later...

after seeing Axoloto's baby pics of his Albinos I thought that I should get some shot of the bubs in this thread

IMG_3673.jpgIMG_3675.jpgIMG_3682.jpg

IMG_3678.jpgIMG_3679.jpg

The albinos have just shot up I think I am going to remove them to give the other little guys a go

I have larger one around the place

I am not to happy with the young males bristles, for his size he should have more.

that fat girl looks like she is filling up with eggs so time to get a male from a different line in with her

I am having a big shack up in my fish room, a Friend is moving house and I have taken the opportunity

to buy some more cheap tanks.

Just in time for my new Line coming home on Saturday :yes:

Yeah strong water flow and the temp around 28

I would love some long fins

they cost the earth down here.

Lost 2 of the common BN babies today I think it was moving them.

I hope the other will be OK they are eating and making one hell of a mess

Hi jo, i thought i'd let you know of a place.

Standard long fin $29.95

Albino long fin $45.00

anyhow, heres their number.

I got one yesterday, they really are stunning. :yes:

03 9803 3109

Thanks for the heads up,

I think I am going to stick to the Platinum and Dalmatian(cream with orange spots)

I just have to make up my mind if I get a breeding group or the Master colony.

+my albinos and commons