Is She Knocked Up?

Chasing Sanity

I bought 2 female guppies from my LFS a few weeks ago, and I noticed at the time that one was a lot more antisocial than the other... She's also a lot rounder than the other, I've never kept guppies before so I'm not sure if she's actually pregnant or just overfed.

P2060040.jpg

Sorry for such a bad pic.

Actually I think both of these girls might be, but I'm mainly asking about the girlie with the black and yellow tail.

Thanks!

The girl with the black and yellow tail is probably the offspring of a plain yellow and a snakeskin. I have bred several females with that colouration and pattern and all have been from a yellow female and a yellow snakeskin male. I have mated these females to another yellow snakeskin male and I am waiting for the result.

Females can store semen which is why finding a virgin female is so difficult at an lfs. They will start breeding as soon as the gonapodium develops in the male so unless they are seperated at about 4 weeks old the females will have been impregnated. Once impregnated a female can drop batches of fry every month or so for up to six months with no male present at all during this period.

All females have a gravid spot, it's one of the ways to tell juvenile males and females apart, before the development of the gonopodium in the male. Juvenile males look like females but they don't have a gravid spot. IME males tend to colour up faster than the females. Pregnant females will become quite large and take on a squarish shape when heavily pregnant. As soon as you notice this make sure there are plenty of floating plants for the fry to hide in otherwise most of them could end up as snacks for the adults.