Tips

jusdeb

hey all , im on the move this weekend and wondering how the heck im gonna organise getting a 4 foot community tank from a to b ( only about 3 kilometres ) i know its gonna be a nitemare .

Any tips on moving them would be greatly appreciated .

The tank is fully planted with live plants so any hints on that will be great too.

cheers all

You'll have to dismantle the tank, unfortunately - leaving stuff in it just asks for the glass to get cracked.

I know people have used tubs and airtones etc before but honestly, I would just bag the fish with some bags (the lfs should sell you some if you haven't got any) and keep them in a foam box til you have the new tank filled up and the temp organised.

Double bag any spiky ones.

what sort of filter is it? I'd try and keep the media wet, but ideally in a container with water and an airstone to minimise loss of the bacteria. Like a battery operated airstone.

Um, maybe also have some of that bottled bacteria ready to dump in there.

and some ammolock just in case.

I moved twice in 6 months with a 2' tank, a tall 4' tank, a standard 4' tank, a 6' tank and oscars, severums, brichardi and a managuense, so I know what a pain it an be!

Just watch the ammonia levels once it's all set back up again.

Good luck!

I have often pulled tanks down in the day and sometimes it is 8 or so hours before setting them up again. I use about 10 buckets for the gravel and fish and air stones are everywhere!

Siphon your gravel clean, and place in buckets.

I'd pop the plants in plastic bags wrapped in wet newspaper, make sure you close it so it is airtight.

Put the filter or filter media in a esky w/ lid with the same water as the tank and run an air stone at old place. Will be fine in esky for ages providing it has water movement.

Transport it in an esky with water (it is only 3km) to new place and run airstone until your ready to place it back in the tank. This will give you some hours grace as you will be busy with other things!! Bag fish and transport in eskies too. Can get foam boxes from your greengrocer.

You could dismantle the tank the night before, if you did that you'd want to wash your gravel thoroughly as you'd have more die off and can be toxic. Once the tank is set up at new place with gravel and water, just add everything else.

Good luck!

Don't have too much to offer here, as I have not had to do this yet (I will soon, but not yet).

One of the best tips I have read is to make your tanks the last thing you tear down and the first to set up.

Taking this further, and since we all know that there is always just one more thing to do before getting back to set the tanks up, I'd make sure everything, pots, pans, books, whatever, are put away first. TV is connected and working, fridge is on with beer getting cold, etc etc. Then go back to the old house, even if it's the next day, do the take down, transport your gear and set straight back up. Minimal time lost.

That's my plan anyway.

Moving it last would be the best idea.

If you could even put the gravel into buckets once you empty the tank and take tank straight there and put gravel back and fill it straight away and then move fish and filter that would almost be a 100% water change and would hardly affect the biological system providing it was done very quickly, you wouldn't need to run air stones etc. Guess it depends on the day or how structured you want it to be.