1/2 Wine Barrel That Has Dried Out

jo oakley

I have 1/2 a wine barrel that has been left to dry out

I can see day light in between the slats.

how can I get it back to the way it was,

will it ever be water tight?

how do you clean them to make them safe for fish

is being dried out in the sun is that enough?

should I line it with pond liner?

Don't know much about barrels but I've always wanted one for a mini pond. I was going to grow water lillies in it. I think it looks so House & Garden. I guess if you line it with pond liner that would solve the leakage and fish safety issue in one go. But how would you secure the pond liner to the barrel without losing the Country Life look?

Good question

my first WB never dried out, it was set up for water lillys,on fish

when I moved to the other side of the state I had to Leave somethings

behind so I thought I would do it again

It needs to be soak in a dam to make the wood swell

Hi jo,

I know back home in Canada, the New finlanders use to buy used rum barrels and add water to them. Every day or so they would roll the barrel to a new position. after a few weeks

they would end up with a product they called swish. The swish had almost no taste but it would still carry a powerful kick :eek: . I was also told that the procedure could be done twice, so I think the

liner would be the safe way to go. I've seen the liners being sold at bunnings for 50$. :eek:

Hi Jo,

I worked for Gardens-R-Us for over 10 years.

They have always stocked these barrels.

They often had gaps but the timber swells up fairly quickly.If it holds water for even half an hour,the swelling will begin.

If not,you will have to soak it as advised.

Our customers were told to fill it and refill till the leaking stops...about two days.

Leave filled for a week,empty and refill with clean water.

After a few more days,stocking can commence.

In all that time I can't remember any customer having probs with water quality.

All the best

Anthony

Hi Anthony

the thing is so dry and open that the 2 buckets of water just ran out on the grass

I am thinking of going to see the maintenance guys on the Stud farm across the road

and ask if I can chuck it in a huge pond they have up the back that no one goes near

I have an odd idea, you could wrap it in plastic sheeting like a giant christmas pudding tie it off securely (some how?) and fill with water. That way it would soak from the inside and out. Probably easier just to use the plastic to line the barrel, but it depends what you want in the end I guess.

Thank you for making me smile

the idea of a giant pudding in my front garden has some appeal good thinking Bat-person ;)

I think a blue tarp could do it

It would be better than lugging the thing to the next property

and then bringing it back water and twice the weight

IMG_3387.jpgIMG_3388.jpg

I think its working I have just left the old water in there at the moment and I top it up as I go past with the run off in the tarp

even if I can't get the water level much higher I am happy

the wrigglers have gone mad they must love a drop of wine with there water :P

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to say thanks. What a brilliant idea. I might just have to steal it. I've got a wine barrel that I tried to plant stuff in, but everything I planted died coz it didn't drain well enough, but using it as a pond is a fantastic idea!

But now to switch on my "Mum" brain, would it be safe to have around with kids? Just thinking about little people accidentally falling in.