Marine Tanks

eggy

my personal thoughts on this are that the community tank is the best area for new keepers to access general information regarding keeping fish. While there is a broad range of topics they span from the new to the more advanced keeper and in between. I think its much better to keep all the relevant information in one area rather than have duplicate posts or half the information in one area and half falling into the 'more advanced' section for ease of searching and to create less confusion. Also I think the best way for new keepers to gather information/have questions answered is by talking to the more experienced keepers in the general section.

In all honesty I don't think we have enough marine enthusiasts to warrant a dedicated forum section. It would see very little use and just create a longer scroll list for the members viewing the board.

Thats not to say I make the final decision on such things. Your proposal will most certainly be discussed by admin/mods - thanks for your input.

Edited by Lissa Mouse
to finish her thought

yes i see your point of view,

but more sections there is, a wider range of hobbyists the site is attracting, so you'll get more members so then there is more people on the site to help people to get the answers thay want.

to be honest most of the answers on this site are just from the mods and not the members!

Edited by eggy

That's simply not true. We have many really active members who provide thoughts and assistance to one another (and mods are members too, not employees, FWIW).

I don't think having a marine section with no posts in it will attract more hobbyists.

The forum is fully searchable, and there is plenty of info for people new to fish keeping if they take the time to browse and search.

We used to have a 'betta basics' section. We rolled it into the general discussion forum, mainly because people never knew where to post - in general discussion or betta basics.

I would have to say that I have found most of the active members of this site very helpful and not all of them are mods/admins. Its only natural that the four people who started the site contribute a great deal, but so do a lot of 'ordinary' members. I have kept fish for over 30 years and yet I am still learning, thanks to all the members here.