What Should I Feed My Cae

eggy

Perhaps he's eating the algae when your not there to see it. I've noticed my algae eating fish, gold suckers i think, eat more in low light than when the tank is fully lit. Early in the morning I sat and watched them scurrying all over our tropical tank, while the other fish were still in stunned/sleep mode. At most other times they hide away, or just sit there.

most lfs sell golden morphs of chinese algae eaters calling them golden sucker mouths so you probably have a CAE.

HE'S NOT very scared of me though he usually comes up to me when i come to feed the other fish in the tank and flares up his fins to tell me to bugger of :)

Is he perhaps more interested in meaty foods? As they grow, they get less and less interested in algae from the tank. The ones I've had have often preferred meat-based foods over vegetable-based foods too.

Zucchini or blanched lettuce should interest the platies as well as the CAE, I'd give those a shot, but I'd bet the CAE is picking up leftover food from your topswimmers :P

Do your algae wafers have a lot of fish meal or are they just spirulina or algae meal? I found the Hikari Sinking Wafers to be quite good, as well as the Carnivore Pellets. Both are pretty high in fish meal :)

Archived