soil-less grindal worm culture methods

Chuckie

Hey guys, if you have mites in your grindal worm culture (whether soli or not), Dallas Morgan mentioned at the SKG meeting on saturday night that lime juice is supposed to help repel them, but has no effect on the worms. I haven't had a chance to try it but thought the info's still useful to you guys!

:)

• 5 months later...

I have all my grindals in soilless cultures now. I cannot speak highly enough of this method.

I use either layers of (not soap impregnated) green scourers - No Frills brand is great - or layers of chux superwipes (or no-name brand equivalent) in a plastic lunchbox.

I have also bought some needlepoint plastic and put that on top of the culture, with kitten kibble on top. It is so simple to then just rinse the worms from the surface into some water for distribution with a baster, around 24 hours later when they have swarmed all over the surface.

• 1 month later...

It's like a fine plastic lattice that is used in craft work (needle-point). It is used instead of sewing onto fabric - fairly hard plastic that has gaps that will allow thicker yarn (e.g. wool) to pass through. You can pick it up from most craft stores/spotlight.

thanks guys :lol: fishbites - i will keep a look out for that brand when my culture is mature enough to subculture :P

are both of you currently using soil-less culture method as opposed to a soil based one? my culture is currently in a peat/shell grit mix

I have a question about the soil-less method. Does that mean the culture medium is long lasting? Coz with the soil/ grit method you would have to change the medium every so often coz the medium turn acidic, does the green scrubs has that problems too?

• 1 year later...

I have a question about the soil-less method. Does that mean the culture medium is long lasting? Coz with the soil/ grit method you would have to change the medium every so often coz the medium turn acidic, does the green scrubs has that problems too?

i second that question!! lol

i hope this thread hasnt died!

• 1 year later...

Hi all

<Lookin g to refresh this topic as I want to sort out my own live food and Grindal seems like a good place to start (Daphnia are on the cards too). Would appreciate any advice from anyone still doing thier own cultures and any information on where I can get starter cultures from - LFS dont seem to carry it.

Cheers

BT

Not sure if someone has starter/mature soil-less cultures available at the moment, but I have two soil-less grindal worm cultures and they are doing great.

I just do daily feedings of dried cat food and siphon off/replace some of the water if it starts to get particularly stinky. Otherwise, I just keep the cultures in a cool place and that's about it for care. They have been going for ages now and I am about to seed a third because I have so many fry/juveniles. I think grindals are one of the easiest live foods to culture.