Chuckie

Sterilising Hands Between Tanks?

Hmm, the main ingredients in the oil don't seem to include proteins. It seems possible that non-protein hydrocarbons can still be damaged/degraded, but I can't find much about sodium chloride affecting hydrocarbons.

Not a problem :lol:. Salt doesn't dissolve in oil so would not disrupt the effectiveness... just thinking aloud here, as a treatment, wouldn't the salt actually enhance the properties of the oil (and/or vice versa)? I've read that to treat a stressed damaged fish, you could use Melafix in conjunction with salt quite effectively ... the active ingredient of Melafix is cajeput oil. The scientific name of the Cajeput tree is "Melaleuca" leucadendron - a tea tree.

Just a question though... tea tree oil on it's own is an antibacterial disinfectant. It is used as a general antiseptic boasts the ability to treat bacterial, fungal & viral infections including some that are resistant to some antibiotics... why would you want to mix it with anything else??? :lol:

why not? if there are things it won't kill but saline will, why not make the effort?

Oh, I forgot that salt doesn't dissolve in oil. :) Kinda defeats the purpose of putting it in the tea tree spray bottle.

I'm skeptical about salt being much good at sterilising surfaces or curing fish disease except at considerable concentrations.

I think salt at low concentrations probably works as a preventative in fish because it irritates the skin, causing more slime coat to form. I doubt it kills the pathogens directly, because the concentration gradient probably isn't enough for osmosis.

no no, not salt dissolved in oil. Rather than dilute the tea tree oil with fresh water, dilute it in salt water.

I mean marine concentration, and I mean marine salt. ever noticed how that scab on your knee dried up and healed after a day at the beach when you were a kid? It obviously has some curative properties. And most freshwater pathogens don't affect marine fish, and vice versa, leading me to think that salt water is pretty hostile for freshwater pathogens.

Yes, I don't doubt that. But it's a question of sufficient concentration, and also sufficient duration of application, for the salt to kill pathogens.

It's hard to empirically know what is enough to positively kill anything that might be there, without using a solution which is so powerful you need to be careful of your hands and the next tank you stick the net in.

Of course, but it's also a problem if you think you're sterilising enough when you're actually not, and then unintentionally spread disease all over the place.

I don't have any new suggestions though.

That's the other side of it, you're right Stefan. Which is why I would err on the side of overkill myself, even if it is more time consuming due to precautions.

To throw another cook in the broth, one LFS I talked to said they used formalin solution, which does not sound like a good idea to me.

Some over the counter treatments contain formaldeyde, white spot remedy instantly comes to mind. I tend to agree with Lilli, most freshwater pathogens find a salty environment too hostile to survive

Hi just wondered if anyone had heard anything else about alcohol hand sterilisers like Aqium. I use this product probably 50 times a day caring for my daughter who has a tracheotomy and always wonder if there is any residue that I'm getting in my tanks. The ingredients list doesn't mention anything other than ethanol which evaporates but when I rinse my hands after repeated use you can feel there is something on them. And yes it is horribly drying but most people don't need to use it this often. Some brands do contain other additives like moisturisers but I avoid them after discovering I was allergic and coming out in a rash up to my elbows that was fun!. Couldn't alcohol be used to sterilise equipment and even tanks, hospitals[and we] use alcohol wipes to clean all sorts of things to avoid patient to patient cross contamination.

Unsure.

I believe that alcohol works by drying too quickly for the pathogens to adapt rather than being a liquid that kills them outright, so I think maybe that could be tricky in a wet or humid environment. You'd have to make sure everything was wet and then wait for it to dry completely to get the antibacterial effect. The positive side would be that it is hard for things to become resistant to dessication :)

Additionally most alcohol seems to be methanol and ethanol, not just straight ethanol, so that could be a problem too.

Aqium is gel cosistency isn't it? Maybe what you are feeling is the dried gelling agent or gums? I found an MSDS for it, it lists 6 ingredients other than ethanol.

http://www.majacmedical.com.au/msds/MSDS%20Aqium%20Gel.pdf

Thanks for that link I thought there were other ingredients but couldn't find them on the bottle. Yes I think to use alcohol for sterilising it would need to be on dry items but it could be handy for things like wiping down thermometers etc when moving between tank. You could dry with paper towel wipe with alcohol let that dry[pretty quick] and theoretically be good to go.

Vodka anyone? :)

If we're talking steralising things rather than hands, would Isopropyl (isocol) alcohol be aquarium safe?

I don't sterilize anything....don't believe in it.

I don't believe healthy fish get sick....stressed fish get sick...so rather than systematically kill bugs....keep your fish stress free

We now have Superbugs because we try to kill all bacteria...all we do is make the strains we don't want stronger and more resistant to what we are using to try and kill it with

I'd rather raise 6 tough fish......than 60 in a sterile tank that has never seen "bad" bugs....

Hands are unfortunately difficult things to sterilise...hibitane and alcohols tend to dry the hands and stronger disinfectants can harm the hands.

If you are worried about possible infection in a tank and it being transferred to other tanks, why not consider wearing a pair of clinical examination gloves while working on the suspect tank. They are readily available from pharmacists and are completely inert and harmless. Besides protecting from transferring infection to another tank, think of any cuts or abrasions on your own hands which could possibly become infected. Yes that is a real risk.

I agree Rod but if I have columnaris in one tank, i want it to stay in one tank!

If you tested the water you will probably find it (and many other harmful bacteria)in all tanks....but I understand the urge to disinfect everything...It's part of our Western culture

If we don't understand something best solution is (try to) kill it....

if it is in the process of trying to kill my fish, then yeah, I'll try to kill it!

as for my attitude to germs and disinfection generally, my filthy mulmy tanks speak for me :rofl:

my filthy mulmy tanks speak for me.....

no such thing....that's a healthy colony of bacteria that assists your fish towards gaining natural immunity..... :D

Ooh, I like that line Rod! I must remember it next time someone comments on my out door tank! I usually just say 'it's supposed to be green, it's fish food!'

Thought I'd bump this thread after the troubles Wayne and Lyarlla have been having with columnaris, in case there's something in here that might be useful.