Our Fishies..

bewarebrunette

Thanks everyone. I think he's pretty spunky too :D

Discus are in a relatively small tank at the moment, in an octagonal one. Bought some plants to go in there today. They are red dragons, and I actually got them from Townsville, at the A1 aquarium. $35 each which I thought was pretty good. If anyone knows anything about discus I'd love to know what you think about them. These are the first discus we've owned and are learning along the way.

I'll post some more pics up soon. The Marble HM is from 'charlie' who is on thi forum. She sold us some gorgeous fishies! thank again

Ok here we go. Are you ready. I have been keeping discus for about 7 months now and have had some big disasters due to inexperience. Discus are not an easy fish to keep happy. I am on the net every single day morning and night researching the best way to look after these beautiful fish. The tank size you will need for now would be at the smallest a 2ft or 50 litres. They seem to be quite young and thin so will need feeding at least 3 times a day ( I feed mine 6 times) with high protien food including a good discus pellet mix, brine shrimp possibly some blood worm, I also use spirulina flake and freeze dried blackworm. I feed mine a beefheart and seafood mix that I have been given a recpie for. They will need water changes of 50% twice a day in a small tank like you have got them in. Even if they are in a bigger tank they will need 50% a day change to assist with their growth and stop them becomming stunted. Discus are very sensitive to water quality and even a small amount of amonia will kill them. Amonia and Nitrite need to be at 0 and Nitrates no more than 10. Temp at a min of 28. You really need to find some good information on discus keeping and read read and read some more. Good luck with these guys Discus are really gracefulfish. P.S Did you know they can grow as large as a dinner plate?

Yeah the discus are in a hexagonal tank for now, and I have some proper discus food for them, have given them bloodworms also but not entirely interested.

At the moment the temp here i about 33, so it's very warm but they seem to be quite happy. I bought some plants to put into the tank today so I think they might like that.

It's hard you know, the information everywhere is different. As long as they continue looking happy I can't be doing too badly.

.... well as I like to say - even with the biggest most expensive camera you can still take crap photos ..it's not just about the camera but about the 'environment' you're using it in - from looking at these it would seem that you've got a pretty decent amount of light going on and that is the real key :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to it, these are my girls, all living happily in the community tank

CIMG0346.jpg

Black and Silver CT female. from Charlie

CIMG0352.jpg

Mustard Gas female VT or HM? Picked up from LPS (pretty neat find I thought ;))

CIMG0357.jpg

Little Platinum HM female (sister to Ghengis') - LPS/breeder

will post some more but im trying to post too many at once :)

haha wish mine would be happy in a communit tank!! - Your Red LFS girl looks like my Jaffa! She's got the same kind of fin colour, have you seen what body colour your's has yet? It always takes my girls for ever to show their 'true' colours... and they always fall backt to the stress stripes so easily!

this is Jaffa..

IMG_4967.jpg

Jaffa yo-yo's with her colour she often will be showing her stress stripes, I had another fish that was similar, she'd always as I call it "drop" her colour - five seconds later they'll be back to 'normal' (crazy fish).

My DT girls did that for awhile, but have stayed 'solid' colours 99% of the time so that when they do show the stripes I know somethings up with them - the other two I just tend to ignore unless they are showing odd behaviour LOL

Archived