Lighting Suggestions For A Standard 4'

here it is newly planted, with DIY CO2 fizzing into the tank from a long airstone, bubbling up into a piece of my old favourite (bubble wrap) til I can install a better diffusre. No filter, no heater (room is always about 30C and the tanks hover there too). I used Dino Dung (knew I'd use it one day!) and a water column fert, too. Lights are on from 10 - 12 hours a day. I need a new timer, the one I have sticks, so have had to manually turn lights on and off.

I am glad you happy with the plants.

Your tank looks nice and yeah those lights are nice. Like the curvy driftwood......

It will look awesome when plants get filled in...... :)

Keep us posted with updates and growth of your tank.

cheers

The Lotus should make a good fore ground plant, Im more of a dense carpet person, but it will blend in well with your layout.

Did you buy plants from Aqua Green ?

They have many of the plants on my shopping list, and was wondering if you would recommend them ?

Ok, livestock update - there are actually also some emerald eye rasbora fry (unexpected!) and 2 kribensis fry from back when the kribs lived in there. Luckily I am not big on vacuuming.... :D

I haven't gotten much red growth out of the red plants, so I have just ordered the 2 of Gisemann Powerchrome Midday and Aqua Flora tubes. So that will leave me with 2 x 6,000k plain daylight tubes, 2 x Aqua Flora tubes and 2x Midday tubes.

Here's hoping my red plants grow red now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, I have modified this tank a bit. It didn't have enough structure, to me. It was just randomly green and bushy I am a Virgo - I need more simplicity. I may go for even less plants later ... I'll see how this new version grows - and if it grows on me!

I have removed the pogo and a few other stem plants, just leaving a couple (I think the plants left are micranthemum?). I also removed a fair bit of the val caulescens as it was taking over that end of the tank and was disproportionately big. I want the aponogetons and lotus and spatterdock to be more prominent, but they were being overwhelmed by the stem plants.

I also removed one piece of driftwood as it was encroaching on one of my aponogetons, pushing it into a corner when I wanted it to open up more. It also had a growth of a grey green algae (looks like Spanish Moss) that is pretty, but invasive. and I am glad I did remove it, because it had a faint sulphuric smell when I removed it, and that is my water ageing tank for my betta fry so I don't want anything dodgy going on in there.

Photos coming soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank Lilli. Just read the whole thread. Very informative. Though im probebly just going for low light plants such as Java moss, Java fern on wood and the good old Anubia... (LOTS OF THEM).... I have two now that have flowers on them. Just beautiful though i need to be careful as the majority of anubias now are grown immersed (out of water?) are they not? Would make sense as to why some of mine enver sprouted flowers.