Sign in to follow this  
Alasse

Green Ct Betta

Just curious what people think of my boy. Picked up from the local fish shop. I thought him stunning, but yeah, curious as to what the experts think :lol:

Critique away

Betta4thJan08.jpg

Hi Alasse,

I'm hardly a CT expert, but here is an extract from the IBC CT standard (which appears in a sticky at the top of this forum), and my comments based on them :lol:

Desirable traits for Crowntails:

1. 33% reduction in webbing material for each primary fin is minimum. 50% reduction in webbing material in all three primary fins is ideal. Lilli: webbing reduction appears to be good.

2. Ray extensions to be uniform in balance, length and spacing (symmetrical). Lilli: The ray extensions are not uniform. a few in the caudal and anal are bent and there us a curled or otherwise deformed one in the dorsal.

3. Double and 4 ray extensions in dorsal and anal fins to match caudal extensions. Lilli: He appears to only have single ray extensions in anal and dorsal fins, but has double extensions in the caudal.

Undesirable traits for Crowntails:

1. Less than 33% reduction in webbing material in 2 or all 3 primary fins is a DISQUALIFYING FAULT. Lilli: N/A

2. Less than 33% reduction in webbing material in 1 primary fin is a SEVERE fault. Lilli: N/A

3. Ray extensions of different lengths are MINOR faults unless the rays are in even, repeating pattern. Lilli: there is some irregularity in the length of the ray extensions.

4. Random rays, for example, single protruding rays in a double ray or 4 ray Crowntail, should not be regarded more than a MINOR fault and ignored if there is only a single ray protruding ray. Lilli: seems to be N/A

5. Curled or bent ray extensions are each a MINOR fault. Lilli: curled and bent rays are both present.

6. Non-symmetrical spaces between ray extensions are each a MINOR fault. Lilli: there are some non-symmetrical spaces between the ray extensions particularly in the caudal and anal fins.

Now, other than that, he appears to be a green fish with red wash, and the red wash is a fault. His caudal is also well under 180*, with 180* being the ideal.

Having said all that, he IS stunning and that is a fantastic photo. Thanks for sharing it!

Thank you Lilli :lol:

I found that quite interesting, i'd not heard of IBC or the standards before seeing it here

And you know, at the end of the day, all that matters is if looking at him makes you happy - which it must cos he is lovely. :)

hmmm, judging by the angle of his protruding lower dorsal fin in conjunction with his retractable angleated anal........baaah who am I kidding he is beautiful

Sign in to follow this